Hold Your Career to a Higher Standard
Interested in working for a leader in the health care community? Find out what career opportunities are currently available at ABMS (alphabetized by title).
E-mail your resume and cover letter for career opportunities to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject of your e-mail.
222 North LaSalle Street, Suite 1500
Chicago, IL 60601
Senior Vice President, Professional and Scientific Affairs
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, is the pre-eminent organization that assists its Member Boards in the certification of physician specialists in the United States and increasingly globally. First established in 1933 as the Advisory Board for Medical Specialties, the ABMS has evolved as a member organization along with the member boards and the development of the Certification and Maintenance of Certification (MOC) processes. Today the nonprofit ABMS works with 24 medical specialty boards in the development and application of standards for the ongoing evaluation and certification of physicians in more than 145 specialties and subspecialties. Its ultimate mission is to maintain and improve the quality of medical care by being the "gold standard" in physician certification.
The ABMS maintains and improves the quality of health care by assisting the Member Boards in their efforts to develop and utilize professional and educational standards for the certification of physician specialists in the United States and internationally. Additionally, the ABMS allows for the coordination of activities and shared best practices across its Member Boards and acts as a conduit for information to the public, government, and professionals both in the US and internationally. The intent of both the initial certification of physicians and the maintenance of certification is to provide assurance to the public that a physician specialist certified by a Member Board of the ABMS has successfully completed an approved educational program and evaluation process which includes components designed to assess the medical knowledge, judgment, professionalism and clinical and communication skills required to provide quality patient care in that specialty.
ABMS has experienced a period of rapid growth in staff and work, particularly with the focus on the development of Maintenance of Certification programs as well as the introduction of international certification programs, beginning in Singapore. Dr. Lois Margaret Nora joined the organization as its new President and CEO during the summer of 2012, and in coordination with the Board of Directors she is leading the further transformation and evolution of this dynamic organization. Dr. Nora and ABMS now seek an experienced physician leader in physician education, assessment, and health care outcomes improvement as the Senior Vice President of Professional and Scientific Affairs to join her in advancing the critical mission of the ABMS and its Member Boards at a challenging time in health care and medical education in the United States as well as internationally.
More information on the ABMS and its programs can be found at http://www.abms.org.
The Senior Vice President for Professional and Scientific Affairs will oversee the ABMS core programs, incorporating education, assessment, research, and standards for certification. The position has four major areas of responsibility:
- Provide support for the ongoing evolution and implementation of effective Maintenance of Certification standards and programs, including developing and implementing MOC 2015;
- Help manage the relationships of ABMS and its staff with the Board of Directors and the 24 Member Boards, in particular, acting as a catalyst to advance the mutual goals of improved certification standards and methods as well as related physician education, training and assessment, and ultimately, of advancing quality of care;
- Assist in the development and implementation of ABMS agreements with other countries, playing a central role in the expansion of international programs under ABMS International; and
- Oversee and focus the Research and Education Foundation on high-value research and research collaborations that advance the core ABMS mission.
The Senior Vice President for Professional and Scientific Affairs currently manages a staff of approximately 18 people that includes three senior area leaders as direct reports. She or he will engage with the ABMS Board of Directors and 24 Member Boards, overseeing several governance committees, workgroups and task forces. She or he will work particularly closely with the President and CEO in driving cultural change at and through the organization, along with improved coordination with the Board, Regular Members, and Associate Members. She or he will also collaborate with the Senior Vice President for Health Policy and Strategic Partnerships in coordinating advocacy, policy, communications and relationships with the Associate Members, specialty societies, provider organizations, health insurers, government and regulatory bodies, and the public.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A physician board certified in at least one of the specialties included as Regular Members of the ABMS;
- Particular passion for educational excellence with expertise in medical education and assessment, including newer, innovative approaches to education and assessment (e.g. simulation, massive open online courses, etc.);
- In-depth understanding of the application of the six domains of clinical competency to the entire spectrum of medical education, particularly in reference to methods of post-graduate education and Maintenance of Certification;
- Expert understanding of methods of educational assessment and outcomes measurement, ideally including active participation in their development and/or application;
- Specifically attuned to the ongoing activities and research involved in assessing physician performance in active practice, including assessing clinical outcomes and measuring and improving clinical quality, safety, and costs.
- Has the ability to translate his or her professional knowledge of standards, assessment, and outcomes to other professional leaders, practicing physicians, government officials, and the public;
- Experience in clinical practice;
- Record of having achieved recertification through the Maintenance of Certification program;
- Exposure to and understanding of current efforts in health care delivery redesign;
- Experience working in an academic medical environment;
- Helpful to have worked in the past with one of the specialty boards;
- Record of successful management of people, including recruitment, professional development and mentoring, and retention;
- Experience effectively leading committees and task forces, both within organizations and ideally involving cross-organizational initiatives, with demonstrated positive results;
- Active involvement with research, including educational research, ideally including a successful record of competitive grant funding;
- Experience in having been a successful manager within an organization, with knowledge of how an efficiently run organization operates;
- Understanding of business development, budgeting, and revenue and expense management;
- Some level of knowledge and experience with health care and especially medical education outside of the U.S.; sensitive to cultural customs and differences and comfortable with international travel;
- Good public speaker and presenter; and
- Well known and respected in his or her field, with a strong national and international peer network.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES
- Inspiring leader who can create and communicate a compelling vision to build a contagious sense of mission, purpose, and focus;
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated emotional intelligence; an ability to actively listen and to engage people at all levels and in all settings;
- Highly collaborative and collegial, with an ability to quickly and successfully build extensive networks of relationships both inside and outside the organization;
- A results-oriented decision-maker, but also one who respects process and the need for consensus building to achieve long-term results;
- Able to clearly establish and communicate priorities to keep leadership team and staff focused on activities that achieve short and long-term goals;
- A team-builder who establishes high-performance teams and an open, supportive, collaborative culture;
- Experienced team manager, knowing how to set direction, delegate, and hold staff accountable while being decisive when needed to meet deadlines and drive results;
- Stimulates the organization to develop and implement innovative approaches to the work to seize opportunities and to creatively address challenges;
- Effective, politically sensitive and savvy negotiator;
- A successful change agent who works through persuasion and influence rather than through hierarchy;
- Sensitive to issues of diversity and cultural competency, and actively promotes diversity within the organization;
- A skilled mentor;
- Open and transparent; and
- Exhibits a strong customer-service orientation.
- Honest with great personal integrity;
- Demonstrates confidence and professionalism;
- Open-minded and flexible;
- Approachable and treats people at all levels with courtesy and respect;
- Strong interpersonal skills with a sense of humor;
- Able to readily develop and maintain trust, even while challenging assumptions; and
- High energy with the ability to have an optimistic outlook and stay focused.
Park Square Executive Search
Richard von Rueden, M.D.