Hold Your Career to a Higher Standard
Interested in working for a leader in the health care community? Find out what career opportunities are currently available at ABMS (alphabetized by title).
E-mail your resume and cover letter for career opportunities to email@example.com. Please include the job title in the subject of your e-mail.
353 North Clark Street, Suite 1400
Chicago, IL 60654
Reports to: Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications, and serving as an integral member of the ABMS team, the Director of Communications will be responsible for the development of ABMS’s communication strategy and will contribute to organization’s strategic planning process.
The Director of Communications will develop a world-class communications plan for ABMS, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization's and its Member Boards brand reputation. The Director of Communications will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations and reputation management activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will need to build relationships with the media. The goal is to advance the organization's position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and leadership marketplace position.
The Director of Communications will be responsible for varied and integrated communications products and services including: newsletters and other print publications; Web, E-news and other online communications; and media and public relations; and content strategy and management; and social media.
Communications Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance ABMS’s mission; brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences
Create marketing/public relations strategies that will allow ABMS leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
Serve as a communications counselor to ABM’s leadership
Lead the development and management of ABMS’s messaging, content, and editorial calendar.
Develop print and digital communications including the newsletters, annual review, marketing collateral, website and new media content, video, and story development.
Develop and lead social media programs
Serve as the lead communication point person on media interactions (trade, consumer, and scholarly publications) that help promote and/or impact the organization
Lead media training
Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding ABMS’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and resource development
Manage relationships with associated staff and vendors
Recruit and manage communications resources to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments
Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required; an advanced degree is strongly preferred
Minimum 10 years’ experience in a senior communication role either in-house or with an agency
Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals
Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized
A minimum of five years’ experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications
Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
Experience in building, mentoring and coaching a team of communications specialists
Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of the organization
Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
Excellent and persuasive communicator
Energetic, flexible, collaborative, proactive; a team leader
Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, ABMS’s Member Boards and staff
Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
Healthcare experience is a plus
Integrated Marketing And Creative Director
Reports to: Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Direct, lead, and manage the planning, development, and execution of ABMS marketing, branding, and creative strategies. Develop these strategies so as to positively impact the overall ABMS and individual marketing initiatives, including ABMS events, Solutions, and Foundation. Work closely and collaboratively with internal customers to understand needs, provide marketing and design consultation, prepare plans, and deliver results-oriented programs. Define, maintain, and ensure the ABMS brand, creative, and project standards across all marketing initiatives. Direct and manage variety of projects related to marketing, branding, graphic design, concept development, messaging, experience management, vendor management, and production. Develop digitally integrated marketing programs. Provide strong creative and messaging skills to strengthen ABMS’s marketplace position. Direct and develop the Integrated Marketing and Creative Design team.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- ABMS Brand Steward. Directs ABMS branding and rebranding initiatives.
- Lead the development and execution of ABMS’s brand and brand strategy. Define, create, and execute branding strategies to support the overall ABMS and individual programs, products, and initiatives. Leverage branding and other market research as needed.
- Interface with the ABMS Leadership Teams and individual departments to develop marketing/ branding strategies and tactics to support and drive the ABMS strategic goals.
- Provide branding, marketing, and creative consultation and guidance to cost effectively meet customer objectives.
- Define brand and marketing standards and ensure a high quality consistent use and compliance across the ABMS.
- Ensure that our high quality of creativity and production is upheld; maintain consistently high standards for self and for team members.
- Drive the branding, design, marketing, and production of new program and products concepts. Provide branding and marketing support for the ABMS product-line architecture and naming conventions.
- Work as a marketing interface with all departments to develop requirements, prepare marketing and design plans including concepts, marketing plans, schedules, and cost estimates. Work collaboratively and cross-functionally.
- Lead the planning and execution of major ABMS marketing initiatives including the meetings and events.
- Develop digital first branding and marketing strategies and support with other media as required. Create strong marketing messages and copy in collaboration with internal customers for a variety of “digital first” media, including web, email, social media, and other types of digital promotions.
- Provide a strong “creative” element to support all marketing initiatives.
- Develop and execute meeting, event, and exhibit signage.
- Lead the strategic development of ABMS events, product, and attendee "experiences."
- Manage the vendor relationship and quoting process for the Marketing team.
- Lead the unified process of marketing/concept/design and interactive/web creative graphics for projects including but not limited to direct mail, brochures, annual report, advertisements, educational materials, website, electronic communication, social media, and special projects such as exhibit design/development/signage and other promotion / communication projects.
- Manage and lead entire production lifecycle across multiple projects.
- Lead video and photography programs to meet business requirements.
- Ensure that our creative product remains leading edge and ahead of our competition, including managing the evolution of marketing technology and digital marketing capabilities.
- Ensure that the creative function operates in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Manage staff so that the environment, culture, capabilities, tools, processes, expectations, work style and other elements support the strategic requirements of the ABMS. Provide team leadership, advice and counsel, and support.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
Attention to detail, excellent communication and organizational skills. Ability to direct multiple projects and lead the team to work across departments to meet objectives of ABMS
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA degree in Creative Design, Graphic Arts, Marketing or degree with equivalent branding and creative marketing experience
- 8 -10 years branding and creative experience
- Proven strategy and design skills
- Strong knowledge and experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience directing internal teams and external resources
- Experience leading and motivating a creative marketing team
Manager, Program Review and Services
Overall responsibilities are to implement and manage the review processes associated with the standards for Certification and Continuing Certification programs and overseeing ABMS staff supporting the standards and review processes. This position reports to Director, Academic Programs and Services.
- Manage all certification and continuing certification-related committees and other certification-related ad hoc or permanent groups including, but not limited to, the Committee on Certification (COCERT), the Committee on Continuing Certification (C3), and the Ethics and Professionalism Committee (EPCOM).
- Oversee the implementation and management of the review processes for certification and the annual review process for Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) for continuing certification programs (such as Maintenance of Certification Programs).
- Develop policies and procedures related to initial certification and continuing certification programs.
- Develop and manage the process for standards review.
- Develop and implement a plan for effective and efficient data reporting for ABMS Member Boards, working in conjunction with other internal departments.
- Oversee the annual report/annual questionnaire process.
- Oversee data analysis and ensure effective and accurate information.
- Oversee the process of developing and training reviewer teams. Create training programs.
Recruit and retain reviewer team members.
- Design, implement and analyze review program evaluations to assure a high quality and effective experience for participating ABMS Member Boards.
- Manage assigned staff also supporting the review processes associated with the standards for Certification and Continuing Certification programs.
- Serve as a liaison, when designated, to external vendors, and other external audiences and stakeholders.
- Assist with special pilots, projects and other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Effective communication skills on all levels in a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent writing skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Highly committed to producing accurate, quality work in a deadline-oriented setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, multi-site environment.
- Solid proficiency with MS Office Products.
EDUCATION, TRAINING and EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree preferred. A bachelor's degree required (in Education, Public Health, Health Administration/Management or Public Policy preferred) or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years of work experience in medical or continuing medical education setting(s), medical research setting(s), medical association setting(s), and/or medical Quality Improvement setting(s).
- Minimum of 2-5 years of work experience involving committee support and governance.
- Experience working with physicians/physician volunteers/medical executives.
Vice President ABMS Research and Education Foundation
The ABMS Research and Education Foundation (REF) was founded in 1971 and is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit supporting organization of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). The ABMS REF supports the mission and priorities of the ABMS and will focus some of its work in the coming years on developing collaborative research and scholarship on the impact of Programs for Maintenance of Certification (MOC). The ABMS REF is currently undergoing revitalization under the leadership of the ABMS President and Chief Executive Officer and the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Vice President will play an integral role in rebuilding the REF and in the development and implementation of the strategic priorities of the Foundation.
The Vice President provides leadership for the ABMS Research and Education Foundation (REF) and oversees the direction of the REF, as set forth by the ABMS President and CEO, the ABMS Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and the REF Board of Directors. The Vice President works with the staff on the planning and daily operations of the REF and takes the lead in building relationships and collaborative partnerships with external constituents. This position reports to the ABMS Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Oversee the resource development function for the REF including developing a strategy that includes research and education initiatives and programs.
- Develop and implement a working strategic plan that will become the guiding document for Foundation decision-making and priority setting.
- Lead the process to develop the research priorities for the Foundation including working with committees, advisory groups, and other constituencies.
- Develop and implement research and education initiatives for the Foundation partnering with Member Boards, hospitals and health systems, universities and ABMS Associate Member organizations.
- Identify and bring research and funding opportunities to collaborative partners in academic medicine and/or to individuals or groups of researchers in the ABMS Member Boards Community who can take advantage of them.
- Identify gaps in research and scholarly work related to the mission and goals of the ABMS and work with researchers to address these gaps.
- Evaluate and strengthen the research infrastructure necessary for efficient conduct of collaborative research partnerships as well as the management of research grants.
- Develop, direct, mentor, and lead the professional and support staff in the Foundation with the goal of attaining a recognized level of expertise, team functionality, and efficiency.
- Support and work with the Foundation Board of Directors.
- Serve as advisory counsel to the Senior Vice President, President and Board on the setting of priorities for projects that involve external support.
- Oversee and place a high priority on the continued development of strong relations with foundation partners.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- High integrity and a commitment to excellence.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, complex environment.
- Skilled and experienced in dealing with ambiguity, problem solving and priority setting.
- Ability to work effectively, collaboratively and tactfully with colleagues and external constituents including research or funding agencies.
- Ability to think creatively and critically.
- Must be able to effectively problem solve.
- The successful candidate must bring a broad generalist perspective to be effective in discussions and for the resolution of issues.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills and must be able to set, execute and follow through on deadlines and timetables.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills coupled with the ability to act as an effective public spokesperson with experience delivering clear and compelling messages to both internal and external audiences.
- Highly committed to producing accurate, quality work in a timely manner.
- Solid proficiency with MS Office Products.
EDUCATION, TRAINING and EXPERIENCE:
- MD, DO, PhD, EdD or other relevant degree required.
- Physician candidates must be an ABMS board-certified diplomate currently meeting the requirements for MOC.
- Experience in resource development and building partnerships required.
- Participation in health and/or education related research highly preferred.
- Experience with starting new operations or developing new infrastructure preferred.
- Experience in writing grants and obtaining independent funding.
- Experience in program design and program management required.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage large, complex, multi-geographic projects required.
- Experience involving committee support and governance required.