Hold Your Career to a Higher Standard
Interested in working for a leader in the health care community? Find out what career opportunities are currently available at ABMS (alphabetized by title).
E-mail your resume and cover letter for career opportunities to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject of your e-mail.
353 North Clark Street, Suite 1400
Chicago, IL 60654
Reports to: Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications, and serving as an integral member of the ABMS team, the Director of Communications will be responsible for the development of ABMS’s communication strategy and will contribute to organization’s strategic planning process.
The Director of Communications will develop a world-class communications plan for ABMS, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization's and its Member Boards brand reputation. The Director of Communications will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations and reputation management activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will need to build relationships with the media. The goal is to advance the organization's position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and leadership marketplace position.
The Director of Communications will be responsible for varied and integrated communications products and services including: newsletters and other print publications; Web, E-news and other online communications; and media and public relations; and content strategy and management; and social media.
Communications Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance ABMS’s mission; brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences
- Create marketing/public relations strategies that will allow ABMS leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Serve as a communications counselor to ABM’s leadership
- Lead the development and management of ABMS’s messaging, content, and editorial calendar.
- Develop print and digital communications including the newsletters, annual review, marketing collateral, website and new media content, video, and story development.
- Develop and lead social media programs
- Serve as the lead communication point person on media interactions (trade, consumer, and scholarly publications) that help promote and/or impact the organization
- Lead media training
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding ABMS’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and resource development
- Manage relationships with associated staff and vendors
- Recruit and manage communications resources to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required; an advanced degree is strongly preferred
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in a senior communication role either in-house or with an agency
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized
- A minimum of five years’ experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Experience in building, mentoring and coaching a team of communications specialists
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of the organization
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Excellent and persuasive communicator
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, proactive; a team leader
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, ABMS’s Member Boards and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Healthcare experience is a plus
Director of Business Development and Strategy
Reports to: Chief Information Officer
Director of Business Development and Strategy reports to the Chief Information Officer and is responsible for working with internal and external colleagues to develop and implement a strong Business Development strategy. This strategy supports the sale and distribution of certification information about the physicians associated with Member Boards? community. This position will work with the team to create revenue projections and support the development of products and offerings which are used to sell board certification data.
- Partner with appropriate internal and external resources to advance the scope of business development services/offerings
- Pursue opportunities to strengthen the ABMS brand with new and existing customers
- Work closely with the Director of Sales to support new partnerships/enhanced sales of certification information
- Screen potential business opportunities by analyzing market strategies and financial opportunities
- Build and maintain a business development strategic/business plan
- Support the creation of revenue projections and forecasting processes
- Responsible for overseeing the product development cycle of all Business Development software offerings to support the sales of certification information
- Supervise staff and partner with colleagues to support the business initiatives
- Participate in senior level decision making and provide key input across ABMS as appropriate
- Align Business Development strategic direction with ABMS strategic direction
- Responsible for developing and launching to market a new set of products for ABMS
- Conduct industry, customer surveys and focus groups to evaluate product design and position, as well to quantify business opportunities where appropriate
- Analyzes market plans and potential new business opportunities
- Engages key stakeholders, solicits business and functional requirements from business partners and key customer groups
- Work closely with CIO and account management to ensure seamless product fulfillment
- Obtain feedback from customer for enhancement to current products as well as new ideas
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills necessary; must be able to articulate complex business ideas to both internal and external audiences at various levels
- Self-motivated individual to independently support and drive cross functional teams
- Solid organizational skills with the develop and implement strategic and tactical changes in response to market changes and a growing organization
- Strong collaboration with Marketing and Communication, as well as other departments at ABMS
- Solid understanding of the business development/product development process
- Strong negotiating, decision making and strategic thinking
- Ability to manage and track complex projects
Education, Training and Experience
- A four year college degree
- MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Healthcare experience preferred
- 7+ years of product and sales experience required, 5 or more years of management experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to identify, hire, coach and develop talent
- Ability to build and maintain client relationships
Integrated Marketing And Creative Director
Reports to: Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Direct, lead, and manage the planning, development, and execution of ABMS marketing, branding, and creative strategies. Develop these strategies so as to positively impact the overall ABMS and individual marketing initiatives, including ABMS events, Solutions, and Foundation. Work closely and collaboratively with internal customers to understand needs, provide marketing and design consultation, prepare plans, and deliver results-oriented programs. Define, maintain, and ensure the ABMS brand, creative, and project standards across all marketing initiatives. Direct and manage variety of projects related to marketing, branding, graphic design, concept development, messaging, experience management, vendor management, and production. Develop digitally integrated marketing programs. Provide strong creative and messaging skills to strengthen ABMS’s marketplace position. Direct and develop the Integrated Marketing and Creative Design team.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- ABMS Brand Steward. Directs ABMS branding and rebranding initiatives.
- Lead the development and execution of ABMS’s brand and brand strategy. Define, create, and execute branding strategies to support the overall ABMS and individual programs, products, and initiatives. Leverage branding and other market research as needed.
- Interface with the ABMS Leadership Teams and individual departments to develop marketing/ branding strategies and tactics to support and drive the ABMS strategic goals.
- Provide branding, marketing, and creative consultation and guidance to cost effectively meet customer objectives.
- Define brand and marketing standards and ensure a high quality consistent use and compliance across the ABMS.
- Ensure that our high quality of creativity and production is upheld; maintain consistently high standards for self and for team members.
- Drive the branding, design, marketing, and production of new program and products concepts. Provide branding and marketing support for the ABMS product-line architecture and naming conventions.
- Work as a marketing interface with all departments to develop requirements, prepare marketing and design plans including concepts, marketing plans, schedules, and cost estimates. Work collaboratively and cross-functionally.
- Lead the planning and execution of major ABMS marketing initiatives including the meetings and events.
- Develop digital first branding and marketing strategies and support with other media as required. Create strong marketing messages and copy in collaboration with internal customers for a variety of “digital first” media, including web, email, social media, and other types of digital promotions.
- Provide a strong “creative” element to support all marketing initiatives.
- Develop and execute meeting, event, and exhibit signage.
- Lead the strategic development of ABMS events, product, and attendee "experiences."
- Manage the vendor relationship and quoting process for the Marketing team.
- Lead the unified process of marketing/concept/design and interactive/web creative graphics for projects including but not limited to direct mail, brochures, annual report, advertisements, educational materials, website, electronic communication, social media, and special projects such as exhibit design/development/signage and other promotion / communication projects.
- Manage and lead entire production lifecycle across multiple projects.
- Lead video and photography programs to meet business requirements.
- Ensure that our creative product remains leading edge and ahead of our competition, including managing the evolution of marketing technology and digital marketing capabilities.
- Ensure that the creative function operates in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Manage staff so that the environment, culture, capabilities, tools, processes, expectations, work style and other elements support the strategic requirements of the ABMS. Provide team leadership, advice and counsel, and support.
Skills and Attributes
Attention to detail, excellent communication and organizational skills. Ability to direct multiple projects and lead the team to work across departments to meet objectives of ABMS
Education, Training and Experience
- BA degree in Creative Design, Graphic Arts, Marketing or degree with equivalent branding and creative marketing experience
- 8 -10 years branding and creative experience
- Proven strategy and design skills
- Strong knowledge and experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience directing internal teams and external resources
- Experience leading and motivating a creative marketing team
Senior Vice President, ABMS Research and Education Foundation
Reports to: ABMS President and Chief Executive Officer
The Senior Vice President provides leadership for the ABMS Research and Education Foundation (REF) and oversees the direction of the REF, as set forth by the ABMS President and Chief Executive Officer and the REF Board of Directors. The Senior Vice President works with the staff on the planning and daily operations of the REF and takes the lead in building relationships and collaborative partnerships with external constituents.
- Develop and implement a working strategic plan that will become the guiding document for
Foundation decision-making and priority setting.
- Oversee the resource development function for the REF including building relationships with
foundations, government and other funding agencies and developing a strategy to provide
resources for research, programs and initiatives.
- Lead the process to develop the research priorities for the Foundation including working with
committees, advisory groups, and other constituencies.
- Develop and implement research and education initiatives for the Foundation partnering with
Member Boards, hospitals and health systems, universities and ABMS Associate Member
- Identify and bring research and funding opportunities to collaborative partners in academic
medicine and/or to individuals or groups of researchers in the ABMS Member Boards
Community who can take advantage of them.
- Identify gaps in research and scholarly work related to the mission and goals of the ABMS and
work with researchers to address these gaps.
- Evaluate and strengthen the research infrastructure necessary for efficient conduct of
collaborative research partnerships as well as the management of research grants.
- Develop, direct, mentor, and lead the professional and support staff in the Foundation with the goal of attaining a recognized level of expertise, team functionality, and efficiency.
- Support and work with the Foundation Board of Directors.
- Serve as advisory counsel to the President and Board on the setting of priorities for projects that involve external support.
- Provide reports to the ABMS Board of Directors on the activities of the Foundation.
- Oversee and place a high priority on the continued development of strong relations with
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Attributes
- High integrity and a commitment to excellence.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, complex environment.
- Skilled and experienced in dealing with ambiguity, problem solving and priority setting.
- Ability to work effectively, collaboratively and tactfully with colleagues and external constituents
including research or funding agencies.
- Ability to think creatively and critically.
- Must be able to effectively problem solve.
- Ability to build teams and effectively manage staff.
- The successful candidate must bring a broad generalist perspective to be effective in discussions and
for the resolution of issues.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills and must be able to set, execute and follow through on
deadlines and timetables.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills coupled with the ability to act as an effective public
spokesperson with experience delivering clear and compelling messages to both internal and
- Highly committed to producing accurate, quality work in a timely manner.
- Solid proficiency with MS Office Products.
Education, Training and Experience
- MD, DO, PhD, EdD or other relevant degree required.
- Physician candidates must be an ABMS board-certified diplomate currently meeting the
requirements for MOC.
- Experience in resource development and building partnerships required.
- Experience with health and/or education related research highly preferred.
- Experience with starting new operations or developing new infrastructure preferred.
- Experience with leading and managing research grants preferred.
- Experience in writing grants and obtaining independent funding.
- Experience in program design and program management required.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage large, complex, multi-geographic projects required.
- Experience involving committee support and governance required.