Hold Your Career to a Higher Standard
Interested in working for a leader in the health care community? Find out what career opportunities are currently available at ABMS (alphabetized by title).
E-mail your resume and cover letter for career opportunities to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject of your e-mail.
222 North LaSalle Street, Suite 1500
Chicago, IL 60601
Communications & Meetings Services Intern
ABMS is offering an internship within their Communications and Meeting Services Department. This internship will provide real-world experience and be structured around the following activities:
Communications & Public Relations
- Assist in letter writing, mail merge, and distribution of publications
- Assist staff with maintenance of relevant databases
- Provide ideas for and assistance with department newsletters, articles, and press releases
- Provide support for responding to customer inquiries regarding info@ account
- Assist with production of publications, including files created in Adobe InDesign
- Assist with letter writing and other communication items for meeting materials
- Assist with preparation of name tags, table tents, signage and other materials for a variety of meetings
- Assist department with activities focused on achieving goals for marketing programs and other department services
- Assist staff with measurement, analysis and reporting of results-based metrics for assessing effectiveness of current marketing activities
Skills Requirements: College-level candidate majoring in Communications, Journalism, Events Planning, Marketing or Advertising. The ideal candidate will have strong writing skills, be an innovative and creative thinker, possess a dedication to serving the customer’s needs, and be willing to pitch in as a member of the team to “get it done” for a wide variety of activities. A small stipend and eligibility for college credit is included.
Manager Academic Services
The ABMS Academic Services Department is looking for an individual with a passion for learning and professional development to serve as a Manager of Academic Services. This individual will be responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating academic programs and services and educational programs. The goal for this individual is to facilitate the development of a learning community culture within the ABMS Member Boards community. This individual will, also, collaborate with the ABMS Boards Community to assist them with identifying appropriate topics, formats, content, and other resources for educational resources and services as needed.
A Bachelor’s degree is required (in Education, Public Health, Health Administration/ Management or Public Policy preferred). A Master’s degree is preferred. Individual must have five years of work experience in a medical, medical education, or medical associated settings.
Successful candidates for this position will demonstrate strong communication skills in a rapidly evolving environment, outstanding organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills, excellent writing skills, driven to produce high quality work, able to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, multi-site environment, and ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines. The Individual should also be proficient in MS Office Products.
Full-time position; Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Manager Accounting & Financial Reporting
This position is responsible for the accounting and finance functions of the organization including: managing day-to-day activities of the organization’s accounting department, accurate and timely financial reporting in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, the efficient operations of department systems and programs, coordination and issuance of annual audited financial statements and accurate and timely tax return filings. This position will:
- Oversee all general accounting functions for the ABMS and all affiliate entities ensuring they are properly authorized, documented and processed accurately and efficiently
- Directs and reviews the account analysis, journal entries and reconciliations and advises on appropriate accounting treatment for routine and non-routine transactions
- Responsible for monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports, managing reporting deadlines, monthly close timelines, and ensuring compliance with U.S. GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles)
- Ensure the preparation of mandatory governmental reporting requirements, including federal and state tax returns, various government reporting schedules and other regulatory requirements
Successful candidate will have professional demeanor and strong customer service orientation, excellent communication skills, respond effectively to sensitive and confidential information, use a participatory management style and demonstrate excellent problem solving skills.
The candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or other relevant field and 7+ years of related experience. A certified public accountant (CPA) would be preferred but not required.
This individual should have broad experience in all aspects of fiscal management, including hands-on experience with accounting systems (GP desirable), spreadsheet programs, and strong knowledge of U.S GAAP, internal controls and financial reporting. Some nonprofit accounting experience preferred but not required.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, M-F, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Vice President, Marketing & Communications
The Vice President (VP) of Marketing & Communications will be a key strategic organizational leader responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of communications and marketing activities in support of the strategic direction and positioning of the organizations and their leadership. This position will develop and implement a strategic communications plan for ABMS, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect both the organizations’ brand and reputation. In addition, the VP will have oversight of ABMS’ varied and integrated marketing and communications products and services including: messaging, publications; website, e-newsletter and other online communications; graphic design; and, media and public relations.
The VP will collaborate with colleagues within the organization, with Member Boards and with the healthcare community to ensure that ABMS and its Member Boards maintain their position as leaders in the healthcare quality improvement, physician assessment and physician certification processes. The VP will be responsible for hiring, developing and managing a team of professionals who will successfully present a portfolio of value-added resources to the organizations and their constituents. The VP will work with all other departments to develop communications strategies and messages that further ABMS and its Member Boards’ programs and goals.
Requirements for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in either in-house or with an agency.
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications specialists.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and execute programs in support of an organization’s vision and strategy.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media.
- Understanding of the non-profit sector and medical sector preferred.
- Proven track record of effective media relations, along with the ability to develop media relations strategies quickly to respond to changing circumstances.
- Business acumen and leadership, proven experience with measurement tools and analytics.
Full-time position; Office Hours are M-F, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Occasional weekends and extended hours may be required. Some travel may be required.