ABMS Organization and Leadership
American Board of Medical Specialties is incorporated in the State of Illinois as a not-for-profit corporation by the Internal Revenue Service under Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.
The individual organizations comprising the membership of ABMS are classified as either Regular Members, often referred to as Member Boards, or Associate Members. The Regular Members include 23 Primary Boards and one Conjoint Board. The Associate Members consist of nine national organizations concerned with graduate medical education and specialty practice, but they are not specialty boards. Each Member Board and Associate Member Board pays annual dues and has voting rights.
There are also three Public Members elected by the Board of Directors who may vote and serve on committees but do not pay dues or hold office.
Officers of the ABMS Board of Directors
The officers consist of the President and CEO of ABMS, the Chair, Chair Elect and the Secretary-Treasurer.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors consists of the Officers and Representatives from each Member Board. It manages and governs the affairs of ABMS and determines compliance with ABMS' stated mission.
To provide advice on decisions affecting the public, the Board of Directors elects three Public Members, having relevant experience, but with no direct relationship to any certifying board or the certification process. Each Public Member has one vote.
The Assembly is the final decision-making authority of ABMS and is composed of the voting representatives of all Regular Members, Associate Members and Public Members. All the members of the Board of Directors are ex-officio members of the Assembly and are without vote. The Chair is presiding officer over all meetings of the Assembly and the Secretary is responsible for giving notice of all meetings and recording all actions taken by the Assembly.
Committees of the Board of Directors
Committees of the Board include:
- Executive Committee is composed of the Chair, Chair Elect, President, Secretary-Treasurer, the Immediate Past Chair, two (2) at-large directors, one (1) Public Member and one (1) at-large director who is a Member Board Executive. In the interim between meetings of the Board of Directors, the Executive Committee has all the powers of the Board except those prohibited by law, those reserved to the Reserved Powers Board under Article III of the ABMS Bylaws and those which would amend or contravene written policies of the Board.
- Committee on Certification (COCERT) is charged with developing and proposing principles and standards of certification and subcertification; evaluating each application for new certification and subcertification and forwarding its recommendation to the Reserved Powers Board through the Board of Directors; and periodically evaluating the status of general certifications and subcertifications and forwarding its recommendations for changes to the Reserved Powers Board through the Board of Directors.
- Committee on Continuing Certification (CCC) will oversee the review process for MOC programs as well as policies and procedures related to continuing certification programs.
- Committee on Research and Evaluation Procedures (COREP) supports and provides feedback and guidance on the work of the ABMS REF; supports the development of research and evidence for the effectiveness and impact of certification, MOC and lifelong assessment; and supports the development of scholarship and innovation in the ABMS Boards Community around certification, MOC and lifelong assessment.
- Database and Information Technology Advisory Committee (DITAC) provides oversight and guidance on policies and procedures related to the ABMS database and information technology.
- Finance and Audit Committee (FINCO) is responsible for monitoring the financial integrity of ABMS including the prudent investment and management of ABMS funds.
- Governance Committee is responsible for the oversight of the governance functions of the ABMS Board of Directors, Reserved Powers Board and the Boards of ABMS controlled entities or subsidiaries. These functions include policies, processes and programs related to nominations, Bylaws, and Board education and assessment.
- Ethics and Professionalism Committee recommends policies, procedures and methods for promoting the principles of ethical and professional behavior for physicians certified by the ABMS Member Boards; working to develop core principles and standards of medical ethics and professionalism that are common to all medical specialties as a model for Member Boards and address issues on ethics and professionalism that are relevant to the ABMS, ABMS Member Boards, and their diplomates; promotes learning (or educational) and assessment activities on ethics and professionalism through the Member Boards; and works in conjunction with other committees or task forces to promote attainment of professional standards through ongoing assessment of professional behaviors as a part of certification and continuing certification.
- The Health and Public Policy Committee provides strategic guidance to the ABMS Board of Directors with respect to emerging practice environment trends and developments in public policy that may affect certification, ABMS and the ABMS Member Boards; informs identification of policy priorities and preparation of issue briefs, white papers and other materials on policy matters related to the mission of ABMS; and recommends resolutions and actions to the ABMS Board of Directors regarding health and public policy issues related to ABMS and medical specialty certification.
Representatives to Other Organizations
ABMS appoints or elects representatives to the following groups or organizations:
- Liaison Committee for Specialty Boards (LCSB)
- Council for Medical Affairs (CFMA)
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
- National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME)
- National Resident Matching Program (NRMP)
ABMS is funded by dues paid annually by Member Boards and Associate Members and by licensing fees. The annual budget of ABMS supports the service functions of the central office and the expenses of the organizational units and committees.
ABMS Assembly conducts business meetings twice a year - an Annual Meeting in March and an Interim Meeting in September. Other meetings are called as needed and may include either the entire voting membership or limited groups representing the Members.
Officers and Members
President and Chief Executive Officer
Gary J. Becker, MD
Miriam G. Blitzer, PhD
Michael L. Carius, MD
Daniel J. Cole, MD
Kirk A. Frey, MD, PhD
Larry C. Gilstrap III, MD
Larry A. Green, MD
Anne-Marie Irani, MD
Rebecca L. Johnson, MD
Gerald H. Jordan, MD
Denece O. Kesler, MD, MPH
Lynn O. Langdon, MS
John E. Mayer, Jr., MD
Gail A. McGuinness, MD
Robert H. Miller, MD, MBA
Stanley J. Miller, MD
R. Barrett Noone, MD
Terrance D. Peabody, MD
Barbara S. Schneidman, MD, MPH
David J. Schoetz Jr., MD
Barry S. Smith, MD
David J. Wilson, MD
Pamela J. Boyers, MA, PhD
Thomas W. Hess, JD
Eve Kurtin, PharmD, MBA
James G. Lifton, MBA
Margaret E. O’Kane, MHS
ABMS Board of Directors 2014-2015
First Row (L to R): Miriam G. Blitzer, PhD; Daniel J. Cole, MD; John C. Moorhead, MD (Chair Elect); Lois Margaret Nora, MD, JD, MBA (ABMS President and Chief Executive Officer); Valerie M. Parisi, MD, MPH, MBA (Chair); Thomas E. Norris, MD (Immediate Past Chair); John G. Clarkson, MD (Secretary-Treasurer); David J. Wilson, MD.
Second Row (L to R): Larry A. Green, MD; Eve Kurtin, PharmD, MBA (Public Member); Lynn O. Langdon, MS; Pamela J. Boyers, MA, PhD; Denece O. Kesler, MD, MPH; Barbra S. Schneidman, MD, MPH; Rebecca L. Johnson, MD; Gary J. Becker, MD; Jo Buyske, MD; James G. Lifton, MBA (Public Member).
Third Row (L to R): R. Barrett Noone, MD; David J. Schoetz Jr., MD; Gail A. McGuiness, MD; John E. Mayer Jr., MD; Gerald H. Jordan, MD; Anne-Marie Irani, MD; Kirk A. Frey, MD, PhD; Robert H. Miller, MD, MBA; Barry S. Smith, MD; Michael L. Carius, MD.
Fourth Row (L to R): R. Barrett Noone, MD; Larry A. Green, MD; Michael L. Carius, MD; James G. Lifton, MBA (Public Member); David J. Wilson, MD; Stanley J. Miller, MD.
Not Pictured: Larry C. Gilstrap III, MD;Stanley J. Miller, MD; Tae Sung Park, MD; Terrance D. Peabody, MD; Susan Dentzer (Public Member); Thomas W. Hess, JD (Public Member); Margaret E. O'Kane, MHS
ABMS Professional Staff
President and Chief Executive Officer
Chief of Staff and Senior Vice President
for Board and Member Board Relations
Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Vice President, Academic Programs and Services
Senior Scholar in Residence
Director, Academic Programs and Services
Director of Programs, Research and Education Foundation
Vice President, International Programs
Director, Multi-Specialty Portfolio Approval Program Organization
Director, Assessment and International Operations
Senior Vice President, Policy and External Relations
Vice President, State Health Policy and Public Affairs
Director, Health Policy and Public Affairs
Chief Information Officer
Director of Information Services
Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Finance and Administration
Director, Financial Planning and Analysis