CertLink™ is an online platform powered by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) for the development and delivery of longitudinal assessments that help physicians evaluate their knowledge, fill knowledge gaps, and demonstrate proficiency. The platform opens opportunities to:
- Create assessments focused on practice relevant content
- Offer access via desktop, tablet, or smartphone
- Provide immediate, focused feedback and guidance to resources for further study
- Present a personal dashboard that displays areas of strength and weakness
What is Longitudinal Assessment?
Supported by adult learning theory, longitudinal assessment is based on administering shorter assessments of specific content over a period of time. Through a recurring examination process, concepts and information are reinforced so that knowledge is retained and accumulated gradually. Once knowledge is gained in this fashion, it can be more readily retrieved and applied to various situations.
Many ABMS Member Boards are exploring longitudinal assessment as an innovative approach to professional development through the ABMS Program for Maintenance of Certification (ABMS MOC®).
Member Board CertLink Pilot Programs
More than half of the ABMS Member Boards are participating in, or planning to participate in, pilot programs involving longitudinal assessment. A number of them are pairing the longitudinal assessment approach with CertLink to explore the platform’s capabilities.The Member Boards that are developing CertLink pilot programs include:
- American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery
- American Board of Dermatology
- American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics
- American Board of Nuclear Medicine
- American Board of Otolaryngology
- American Board of Pathology
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
The first Member Board pilot programs will begin in the fall of 2017.