Administrative Coordinator, Governance and Board Relations
The American Board of Medical Specialties is seeking an Administrative Coordinator, Governance and Board Relations.
American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) serves the public and the medical profession by improving the quality of health care through setting professional and educational standards for medical specialty practice and certification in partnership with its certifying Member Boards. These elevate the standards for patient care and care improvements.
The Administrative Coordinator’s overall responsibilities are to assist with the administrative support of systematic governance procedures to ensure adherence to the organizational Bylaws and Board-approved policies. Provide exceptional service to volunteers serving in ABMS governance structures. This is a full-time, non-exempt position that reports to the Director, Board and Member Board Relations.
- Provide executive level administrative support to the Vice President of Governance and Board Relations in collaboration with senior staff leadership and staff liaisons for committees including coordinating calendars and schedules, making travel arrangements, and processing expense reports;
- Coordinate the monthly conference calls of Board leadership, President, and Vice President of Governance and Board Relations;
- Assist with a wide variety of administrative operations with governance including responding to telephone and email inquiries, scheduling meetings, recording, and drafting minutes, maintaining office inventory, organizing, and updating files, and photocopying;
- Assist with the planning and preparation of Board and committee meetings including agendas, reports, minutes, and follow-up on action items;
- Assist with logistical arrangements – floor plans, supplies, media equipment, etc.; – for meetings of the Executive Committee, LLC Boards of Managers, Board of Directors, Governance Committee, Stakeholder Council, Accountability and Resolution Committee, and other groups/task forces managed by the Governance Department;
- Update and maintain IT-related tools as well as websites, contact information and distribution lists in Outlook, databases with member and committee information, and the Board Staff Directory;
- Ensure completion of the Conflicts and Dualities of Interest Forms for Board and committee volunteers, Member Board Executives, and staff annually;
- Assist with implementation of web-based and other technological solutions to facilitate the work of the Board, including communications, document access, and records archiving;
- Upload meeting materials to BoardEffect for all committees/task forces managed by the Governance Department; and
- Serve as primary back-up to the Director, Board and Member Board Relations for administration and management of all audio/videoconferences using Microsoft Teams.
Skills and Attributes
- Self-directed, detail oriented, flexible, and dependable;
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and shift priorities as needed;
- An ability to exercise a high level of professionalism, judgment, discretion, and confidentiality, particularly regarding information about individual trustees;
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal, and an ability to interact respectfully and constructively with diverse individuals;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and an ability to collaborate and build partnerships with other departments in support of shared objectives;
- A familiarity with information technology, and a willingness to explore and learn new technological solutions that can be used to facilitate Board meetings and the work of the Board generally;
- An understanding of the characteristics, best practices, and staff support needs of a volunteer board; and
- Demonstrated customer focused or customer service experience.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience;
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector (membership, healthcare, or association setting) is strongly preferred;
- Advanced level of proficiency including Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams), and Adobe Acrobat (required); and
- Proficiency in the development and maintenance of databases (preferred)
The Administrative Coordinator, Governance and Board Relations position is based in Chicago.
Closing Date: Monday, November 29, 2021, or until the position is filled.
How to Apply
In addition to sending your resume and salary expectations, you should include a cover letter outlining your experience and the strategic value that you will bring to ABMS.
Send your resume and cover letter to Johana Solis, Human Resources Generalist, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Ref: ABMS_ADMIN_GOV_2” in the subject of your email.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be added at any time with or without notice.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or genetic information.