Administrative Coordinator, Governance and Board Relations
September 6, 2022
The American Board of Medical Specialties is seeking an Administrative Coordinator, Governance and Board Relations.
The Administrative Coordinator’s overall responsibilities are to assist with the administrative support of systematic governance procedures to ensure adherence to the organizational bylaws and Board-approved policies. Provide exceptional service to volunteers serving in ABMS governance structures. This is a full-time, non-exempt position that reports to the Director, Board and Member Board Relations.
Established in 1933, the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is responsible for the creation of standards overseeing physician certification in the United States. Dedicated to improving the quality of care to the patients, families and communities they serve, the 24 ABMS Member Boards develop educational and professional standards and programs of assessment to certify physicians and medical specialists. More than 940,000 physicians and medical specialists are certified by one or more of the ABMS Member Boards in one or more 40 specialties and 88 subspecialties. For more information about ABMS, visit www.abms.org
- Provide executive level administrative support to the Senior Vice President of Governance and Board Relations in collaboration with senior staff leadership and staff liaisons for committees including coordinating calendars and schedules, making travel arrangements, and processing expense reports;
- Assist with a wide variety of administrative operations with governance including responding to telephone and email inquiries, scheduling meetings, maintaining office inventory, organizing, and updating files, and photocopying;
- Prepare first draft of meeting minutes for Governance-related committees and groups;
- Update and maintain IT-related tools as well as websites, contact information and distribution lists in Outlook, databases with member and committee information, and the Board Staff Directory;
- Ensure completion of the Conflicts and Dualities of Interest Forms for Board and committee volunteers, Member Board Executives, and staff annually;
Skills and Attributes
- Self-directed, detail oriented, flexible, and dependable;
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and shift priorities as needed;
- An ability to exercise a high level of professionalism, judgment, discretion, and confidentiality, particularly regarding information about individual trustees;
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal, and an ability to interact respectfully and constructively with diverse individuals;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and an ability to collaborate and build partnerships with other departments in support of shared objectives;
- A familiarity with information technology, and a willingness to explore and learn new technological solutions that can be used to facilitate Board meetings and the work of the Board generally;
- An understanding of the characteristics, best practices, and staff support needs of a volunteer board; and
- Demonstrated customer focus or customer service experience.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience;
- 3-5 years Administrative experiences (required)
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector – membership, healthcare, or association setting (strongly preferred);
- Advanced level of proficiency including Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams), and Adobe Acrobat (required); and
- Proficiency in the development and maintenance of databases (preferred)
ABMS employees are currently working remotely, unless they choose to work in the office. If an employee wishes to visit the office, the employee must be vaccinated against COVID-19 and must provide proof of vaccination upon request, subject to legal exemptions. ABMS considers an employee to be vaccinated against COVID-19 if the employee has received the primary vaccine and one booster dose. This policy may be revised at any time.
Salary and Benefits: ABMS is offering a starting hourly rate between $26.50 and $29.00 an hour, based on relevant experience. ABMS also offers a 37.50-hour work week; a comprehensive benefit package including 3 BCBS plan options; Flexible Medical & Dependent Care Spending Accounts, Heath Savings Accounts; Dental and Vision insurance; 401k with a 3% safe harbor match; discretionary annual bonus; and generous paid vacation program.
The Administrative Coordinator, Governance and Board Relations position is based in Chicago and only local candidates will be considered. Based on the responsibilities of this position, it will be necessary to work in our Chicago office as needed.
Closing Date: Monday, September 26, 2022, or until the position is filled.
How to Apply
In addition to sending your resume and salary expectations, you should include a cover letter outlining your experience and the strategic value that you will bring to ABMS.
Send your resume and cover letter to Johana Solis, Human Resources Generalist, at email@example.com. Please include “Ref: ABMS_ADMIN_GOV_9_22” in the subject of your email.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be added at any time with or without notice.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or genetic information.