Communications Specialist – American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Job Title: Communications Specialist
Reports To: Director of Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Summary: The Communications Specialist is responsible for drafting content, communications messages and collateral for both internal and external audiences, implementing ABPMR marketing and public relations plans under the direction of the Director of Communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Create written communications, including website articles, announcements, updates, email and newsletters for external audiences.
- Social media management to include content creation, posting and monitoring.
- Design of basic media/graphics as needed for various channels, written communications, videos, presentations and reports.
- Create communications plans and recommendations for key issues and topics, as appropriate, in coordination with the Director of Communications (i.e. LA planning, subspecialties, etc.)
- Seek out and recommend ways to promote board-certified physiatrists and the field of physiatry through human interest stories, articles, interviews, social media, etc.
- Assist in execution of marketing events to include coordination of exhibit booth and materials, presentation design, and session proposals.
- Assist and oversee the communications process for certifying examinations including candidates and volunteers.
- Provide support for materials needed for board meetings and other events as assigned.
- Assist in creating surveys and qualitative interviews with appropriate audiences to obtain feedback to inform communications, marketing or public relations strategy.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following.
Adaptability – Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Measures self against standard of excellence. Recognizes and acts on opportunities. Sets and achieves challenging goals. Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Dependability – Commits to doing the best job possible. Follows instruction. Keeps commitments. Meets attendance and punctuality guidelines. Responds to request for service and assistance. Takes responsibility for own actions.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
Quality – Applies feedback to improve performance. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Displays commitment to excellence. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Puts success of team above own interests.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, English or related field.
Two years’ experience in content writing; public relations or marketing internship a plus.
Experience with website and social media content support.
Read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Write simple correspondence. Effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees.
Apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Excellent skills with Microsoft Office suite. Experience with graphic design and video editing software.
Certificates and Licenses:
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Travel: Minimal Traveling – on an as needed basis.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
Completed applications with a current resume need to be submitted via email to email@example.com.