Director, Certification Standards and Programs
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is seeking a Director, Certification Standards and Programs.
The ABMS serves the public and the medical profession by improving the quality of health care through setting professional and educational standards for medical specialty practice and certification in partnership with its certifying Member Boards. These elevate the standards for patient care and care improvements.
The Director, Certification Standards and Programs is responsible for providing leadership and project management direction for Certification Standards and Programs (CSP) for committees, working groups, and task forces of the Board of Directors. The primary objective of this role is to lead the daily operations of CSP to ensure that activities are aligned with the strategic goals and priorities of ABMS. The individual elevates topics that need to be addressed across departments and committees at ABMS and oversee the review and continual improvement of certification programs through the committees. A key component includes the development and use of metrics for program assessment and improvement. As part of the CSP leadership team, the individual will also provide input to other CSP activities such as educational resources, data collection, research, and quality improvement.
About the Certification Standards and Programs (CSP) Department: CSP supports the ABMS mission by increasing the value of and advocating for Member Board certification programs by supporting committees, collaborating with internal and external partners, and fostering an innovative learning community that enhances the quality of certification programs and, ultimately, patient care.
- Lead the development and implementation of programs and processes for the review of certification programs of the ABMS Member Boards;
- Direct the evaluation and assessment strategy and/or consultation services supporting the Member Boards in their certification programs and oversee the design, implementation, and analysis of review program evaluations;
- Support the Member Boards in the continual improvement of certification programs, including the development and use of metrics for individual Member Boards and across Member Boards;
- Oversee the development of programs that establish a learning community among ABMS Member Boards in which Member Boards share ideas and best practices and learn from each other and from ABMS;
- Oversee development and maintenance of overall relevant project management/business plans; Manage committee and assigned project budgets/resources and program deliverables;
- Manage messaging and communication related to the certification review processes and services offered by the ABMS to the Member Boards Community;
- Oversee all certification-related committees and other certification-related ad hoc or permanent groups, as needed; Develop committee and other reports for Governance groups as needed;
- Oversee the design, implementation, and analysis of review program evaluations;
- Support ABMS Member Boards in shared services and programs;
- Manage assigned staff supporting committees, working groups, and task forces;
- As part of the CSP leadership team, provide substantial input regarding the development and implementation of educational resources and services consistent with best practices in continuing professional development, assessment, program evaluation and quality improvement;
- Represent the ABMS at local, regional; and national meetings and workshops when appropriate;
- Serve as a liaison to a select number of Member Boards; and
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate, required; Preference given to educational and experiential foci in Medical Education, External Assessment, Program Evaluation, Health Administration/Management or Public Policy;
- Five (5) years of experience in health professions education, medical research, medical associations, patient safety and/or quality improvement highly desired;
- Experience in program design, management, and evaluation required;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage large, complex, geographically distributed projects required;
- Experience involving committee support and governance required;
- Demonstrated maturity in working with external groups, physicians, physician volunteers, and/or medical executives is highly desired;
- Experience working in accreditation, certification, or assessment is highly desired; and
- Experience with organizational quality improvement and data is required.
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, complex environment either in office or work from home with minimal management interaction and supervision;
- Skilled, experienced, and comfortable in dealing with ambiguity, problem solving and priority setting;
- Strong analytical skills, especially applying data to decision making; must be able to set, execute and follow through on deadlines and timetables;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; must be able to transmit complex business concepts to internal and external stakeholders;
- Highly committed to producing accurate, quality work in a timely manner with a strong attention to details; and
- Exceptional proficiency with Microsoft 365 required; Other software proficiency highly desired.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, M–F, 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Early morning, evening, and weekend hours are required periodically. Some travel will be required.
The ABMS offices are located in Chicago, but this position can be remote. If the successful candidate is located outside the Chicago area, travel to Chicago and ABMS’s conferences would be required periodically.
Closing Date: Friday, August 27, 2021, or until the position is filled.
How to Apply
In addition to sending your resume and salary expectations, you must include a cover letter outlining your experience and the strategic value that you will bring to ABMS.
Send your resume and cover letter to Dan Hoppe – Director, Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Ref: ABMS_DIR_CSP_2” in the subject of your email.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be added at any time with or without notice.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or genetic information.