Information and Data Research Manager
March 22, 2022
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is seeking an Information and Data Research Manager.
The Information and Data Research Manager for the ABMS Research and Education Foundation is responsible for advancing ABMS’ efforts in data sharing and data management. This individual provides and develops services to meet the information needs of the staff and 24 Member Boards. The Information and Data Manager manages the continuing certification reference center and assists with the Visiting Scholar Program’s research directory. This individual also assists with Research and Evaluation collaboratives, helping with the ABMS Data Strategy, and coordinating and supporting research projects. This position is exempt and reports to the Associate Vice President, Certification Standards and Programs.
Established in 1933, the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is responsible for the creation of standards overseeing physician certification in the United States. Dedicated to improving the quality of care to the patients, families and communities they serve, the 24 ABMS Member Boards develop educational and professional standards and programs of assessment to certify physicians and medical specialists. More than 940,000 physicians and medical specialists are certified by one or more of the ABMS Member Boards in one or more 40 specialties and 88 subspecialties. For more information about ABMS, visit www.abms.org
About the Certification Standards and Programs (CSP) Department: CSP supports the ABMS mission by increasing the value of and advocating for Member Board certification programs by supporting committees, collaborating with internal and external partners, and fostering an innovative learning community that enhances the quality of certification programs and, ultimately, patient care.
- Information and Data Management
- Organize, curate, and update existing reference material, maintain a reference center, identify new resources and format, and function as an integral part of the data management project team to support staff and Member Boards
- Provide reference assistance and deliver information in a format and means of delivery best suited to the request
- Identify software and tools and develop services supporting the discovery and management of research data
- Conduct project-related quantitative and qualitative analyses
- Conduct research impact reports (citation analysis, audience analysis, and research productivity)
- Serve as a resource for others at ABMS and in the Member Boards for finding, sharing, and summarizing information
- Establish archival system for completed projects
- Research Group Management
- Collaborate with the Research and Education Foundation Director to implement plans and programs
- Coordinate and support committees, task forces, and groups including organizing and tracking activities, facilitating agenda development, development of committee documentation and other materials, and managing conference calls and projects
- Manage timelines and completion of tasks related to projects
- Coordinate logistics, support meetings, conference calls and webinars, and facilitate communication
- Relationship Management
- Collaborate closely with the Research and Education Foundation Director on projects and initiatives
- Work with internal partners to assess information and data management needs and make recommendations that advance ABMS/REF goals
- Work with external partners and/or outside vendors to coordinate various services and programs, when appropriate
- Serve as a concierge for select Member Boards
Education and Experience
- Master’s in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited program or equivalent accreditation body (required)
- Three to five years of professional experience in an administrative or project management role is (preferred)
- Background or experience indicating an ability to become proficient with quantitative or qualitative research tools such as R, Python, SAS, SPSS or STATA (required)
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams) and Adobe Acrobat (required); and the ability to prepare business reports, letters and documentation
- Knowledge of the research data lifecycle and data management and sharing best practices (required)
- Familiarity with appropriate data repositories and public data sets including methods for extraction of information from them (preferred)
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software is (preferred)
- Experience with using a variety of data analysis, visualization, and mapping tools is (preferred)
- Experience with conducting quantitative or qualitative research and data analysis is (preferred)
- Experience in an academic, research, or health sciences library is (preferred)
- Familiarity with data curation and preservation practices is (preferred)
Skills and Attributes
- Leadership experience in building and implementing a complex research program
- Strong research design and analysis skills, especially in regard to high stakes and formative and summative assessments
- Ability to present challenging or complex information in clear and direct ways that strengthen effectiveness of partnerships and overall results
- Ability to think creatively and critically
- Ability to work effectively, collaboratively, and tactfully with colleagues and external constituents, including Member Boards
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, complex environment while effectively meeting deadlines and timetables
- Contribute to a broad perspective on evaluation across the continuum of medical education, from undergraduate to graduate to continuing education
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with implementation science methodology
- Integrity and a commitment to excellence
- Statistical skills to design research projects and analyze data
- Strong leadership capabilities; ability to inspire, manage, and motivate others through both authority and influence
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
Salary and Benefits: ABMS is offering a starting salary starting in the low to mid $80’s, based on relevant experience. ABMS also offers a 37.50-hour work week; a comprehensive benefit package including 3 BCBS plan options; Flexible Medical & Dependent Care Spending Accounts, Heath Savings Accounts; Dental and Vision insurance; 401k with a 3% safe harbor match; discretionary annual bonus; and generous paid vacation program.
ABMS employees are currently working remotely, unless they choose to work in the office. If an employee wishes to visit the office, the employee must be fully vaccinated and must provide proof of vaccination upon request, subject to legal exemptions. ABMS considers an employee to be “fully vaccinated” if the employee has received three doses of a vaccination (i.e., two primary doses and one booster dose) that has been authorized or approved for use in the United States to prevent COVID-19. This policy may be revised at any time.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be added at any time with or without notice.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, M–F, 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Early morning, evening, and weekend hours may be periodically required.
The ABMS offices are located in Chicago, but this position may be remote. If the successful candidate is located outside the Chicago area, travel to Chicago and ABMS’ conferences would be required periodically.
Closing Date: Friday, April 15, 2022, or until the position is filled.
How to Apply
In addition to sending your resume and salary expectations, you must include a cover letter outlining your experience and the strategic value that you will bring to ABMS.
Send your resume and cover letter to Dan Hoppe – Director, Human Resources, at email@example.com. Please include “Ref: ABMS_IDRM_2022” in the subject of your email.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or genetic information.