Manager, Meetings and Events
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is seeking a Manager, Meetings and Events.
The Manager, Meetings and Events will provide meeting management and support for Meetings and Events department which supports more than 70 meetings per year for non-profit health care association. There will be an emphasis on managing and executing hybrid meetings, customer service, electronic registration software, and preparing necessary logistical elements for hybrid meeting environments.
This position is exempt and reports to the Director, Meetings and Events
Established in 1933, the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is responsible for the creation of standards overseeing physician certification in the United States. Dedicated to improving the quality of care to the patients, families and communities they serve, the 24 ABMS Member Boards develop educational and professional standards and programs of assessment to certify physicians and medical specialists. More than 940,000 physicians and medical specialists are certified by one or more of the ABMS Member Boards in one or more of 40 specialties and 88 subspecialties. For more information about ABMS, visit www.abms.org.
- Oversee and manage multiple aspects of American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) committee meetings, Member Board meetings, symposiums, workshops, and other ad hoc meetings annually. Includes securing appropriate meeting space, overnight room reservations, audio/visual equipment and banquet orders, transportation, catering, etc.
- Oversee and manage multiple aspects of the ABMS Annual Conference
- Serve as onsite coordinator during events, and/or manage support staff onsite, coordinate activities with the conference registrar and review budgeting and billing for accuracy
- Prepare and/or oversee the production, execution, and distribution of various planning documents and materials for 70+ meetings, including planning timelines, floor plans, meetings specs, name badges and tent cards, welcome packets, signage, feedback surveys, and other supplies for meeting participants
- Maintain electronic registration management system including invitations, registration process, reporting, guest management database, and post-event follow-up
- Participate in site visits for upcoming ABMS meetings as needed
- Work with the Director, Meetings and Events to cultivate strong working relationships and develop two-way information sharing opportunities and partnerships with Member Boards, Associate Members, and other external organizations as appropriate
- Update annual ABMS meeting information on various online platforms
- Work with other staff members ensuring effective meetings and communications at meetings
- Manage meeting budgets and ensure invoices are coded to designated program areas. This includes obtaining, reconciling, and submitting reimbursement vouchers from ABMS committees and volunteers
- Assist the Director, Meetings and Events in working with outside vendors to coordinate various activities and negotiate for best prices according to meeting specifications
- Adhere to company communications style guidelines
Education and Experience
- Four to seven years of experience with meeting planning and/or equivalent experience in a professional environment; non-profit or association experience strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in event planning, hospitality, association management, marketing or related area preferred.
- Experience leading cross functional teams to deliver high-end results in meeting execution preferred.
- Success in coordinating small- to medium-scale meetings preferred.
- Experience with electronic registration and conference management software (Cvent or Cadmium) strongly preferred.
- Excellent skills in Office 365 required.
- Demonstrated success in negotiating and coordinating with outside vendors required.
- Experience in producing virtual and hybrid events, strongly preferred.
- The ability to lift, push, and/or pull up to 50 pounds; sit on the floor to pack boxes/crates; sit/stand for extended periods of time; and reach overhead and/or reach at or below shoulder level required.
Skills and Attributes
- Attention to detail, excellent communication, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure on multiple projects independently.
- Ability to work in a vibrant collaborative environment to meet objectives of ABMS.
- Ability to work remotely as well as in the ABMS office.
- Must possess strong leadership skills to provide effective meetings and events for the physician community.
- Solid writing, editing, and proofreading skills as well as a thorough knowledge of electronic registration platforms, standard business document formats, and the hotel industry is essential.
- Proven ability to provide outstanding customer service, to a variety of stakeholders including senior leadership, board of directors and staff, chairpersons of ABMS’ committees, and external volunteers.
ABMS employees are currently working remotely, unless they choose to work in the office. If an employee wishes to visit the office, the employee must be vaccinated against COVID-19 and must provide proof of vaccination upon request, subject to legal exemptions. ABMS considers an employee to be vaccinated against COVID-19 if the employee has received the primary vaccine and one booster dose. This policy may be revised at any time.
Salary and Benefits: ABMS is offering a starting annual salary between $67,000 & $75,000 based on relevant experience. ABMS also offers a 37.50-hour work week; a comprehensive benefit package including 3 BCBS plan options; Flexible Medical & Dependent Care Spending Accounts, Heath Savings Accounts; Dental and Vision insurance; 401k with a 3% safe harbor match; discretionary annual bonus; and generous paid vacation program.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, M-F, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Early morning, evening, and weekend hours may be periodically required. Travel, weekend and early and/or evening hours are required as needed to support meetings
The ABMS offices are located in Chicago, and only local candidates will be considered.
Principals only; no agency calls please.
Closing Date: Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
How to Apply
In addition to sending your resume and salary expectations, you must include a cover letter outlining your experience and the strategic value that you will bring to ABMS.
Send your resume and cover letter to Dan Hoppe – Director, Human Resources, at email@example.com. Please include “Ref: ABMS_MME_2022” in the subject of your email.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be added at any time with or without notice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or genetic information.