Managing Editor, Test Development
The American Board of Medical Specialties is seeking a Managing Editor, Test Development, in our Assessment Programs department.
American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) serves the public and the medical profession by improving the quality of health care through setting professional and educational standards for medical specialty practice and certification in partnership with its certifying Member Boards. These elevate the standards for patient care and care improvements.
The Managing Editor, Test Development position reports to the Associate Vice President, Assessment Programs. The Managing Editor, Test Development, works closely with the Managing Editor, Technology and Publication and is responsible for providing leadership, project management, and oversight of all aspects of test development and delivery of domestic specialty certification examinations. This description is not intended to be exhaustive of all duties associated with this role. This is an exempt position.
- Manage day-to-day operations of assigned examination programs including problem resolution
- Develop and monitor overarching schedules for all assigned examination programs and annual test development and production schedules for individual examination programs
- In collaboration with the Managing Editor, Technology and Production, set up item and media banks for assigned programs including quality assurance of items, images, and metadata imported from previous vendors
- Manage and maintain items, media, and metadata in item banking software for assigned programs
- Maintain blueprints and content specifications for all assigned examinations to ensure currency
- Participate in blueprint review meetings including development of meeting materials
- Communicate with committee chairs and program sponsors regarding meeting and production schedules
- Assist with facilitation of item writing training including development of materials for use in workshops and other training modalities
- Work with committee chairs to develop item writing assignments and selection of items for pool review based on pool analysis
- Oversee pool review projects including liaising with Managing Editor, Technology and Publication and vendor for set up and development of orientation materials for committee reviewers
- Oversee and quality control editing of all test materials (including metadata tags) to ensure accuracy, consistency, and conformance with best practices, style conventions, and program sponsor requirements
- Manage freelance editors and other consultants including provision of feedback regarding work quality
- Analyze item banks and work with relevant staff to identify eligible pools for annual test form construction
- Construct annual test forms that meet all blueprint and content specifications
- Facilitate in-person and remote committee meetings with focus on accurate recording
- of meeting changes, committee decisions, and style-specific issues and provision of guidance regarding best practices for item and form development
- Publish and quality control examination forms
- Collaborate with psychometrician and other ABMS staff as necessary to ensure timely delivery and scoring of high-quality examinations
- Prepare materials for key validation and standard setting meetings
- Assist with preparation of final reports and other documentation for assigned programs
- Participate in the development and enhancement of test development best practices and policies
- Ensure all ABMS test development security protocols are met
- Train and mentor editorial staff
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, complex environment
- Experience and skills to deal with ambiguity, problem solving and priority setting
- Ability to set, execute and follow through on own, and others, deadlines, and timetables
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High level of maturity in working with senior executives, physicians, and other professional staff
- Acts as advocate for the program to internal and external stakeholders
- A team player with the confidence, courage, and influencing skills to champion change
- Excellent developmental editing skills
- Ability to learn and apply new technology quickly
- Ability and willingness to travel nationally as needed
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree within a related field of study (English, Journalism, Biology, or other scientific/medical field); Required
- Demonstrated advanced skills in test development, including successful completion of projects managed; Required
- Demonstrated success in dealing with complex organizations and people from varied backgrounds; Required
- Knowledge of medical terminology and content; Required
- Knowledge of web-based and computer-based test delivery and publication; Required
- 8 years of experience working in assessment preferably on medical licensing or specialty certification examinations; Strongly Preferred
- Familiarity with software applications supporting multimedia development, manipulation, and presentation; Strongly Preferred
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, M- F, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Closing Date: Friday, May 14, 2021 or until the position is filled.
How to Apply
In addition to sending your resume and salary expectations, you should include a cover letter outlining your experience and the strategic value that you will bring to ABMS.
Send your resume and cover letter to Dan Hoppe – Director, Human Resources, at email@example.com. Please include “Ref: ABMS_Mgr_Edit_Test_Dev” in the subject of your email.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be added at any time with or without notice.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or genetic information.