ABMS Portfolio Program: Making Connections for Quality Improvement
The ABMS Portfolio Program supports health care organizations’ quality and safety goals, encourages physician and physician assistants (PAs) involvement in QI activities and offers continuing certification credit for the improvement work being done in practice. Through the ABMS Portfolio Program community, individuals and organizations share resources and camaraderie, make strategic connections, and provide advice and feedback to other Sponsor organizations.
The program operates through sponsor organizations designated by the ABMS Portfolio Program with ABMS Member Boards as well as with the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) to award physicians and PAs continuing certification credit. The continuing certification programs of ABMS Member Boards and NCCPA play a vital role in making sure physicians and PAs evaluate their current practices, acquire new knowledge and skills, and apply their learnings to the changing health care needs of their patients and the communities they serve.
Advantages of ABMS Portfolio Program Participation
The ABMS Portfolio Program offers many advantages both for the sponsor organization and physicians and PAs.
For Sponsor Organizations
- Promote a quality and safety culture by translating relevant activities into improving patient experience of care and community health.
- Retain and attract physicians and PAs by supporting their professional development, continuing certification, and personal well-being.
- Cultivate relationships with other sponsor organizations to share information about program/activity implementation and management, physician/PA engagement, and more.
- Stimulate innovation at the practice level that can be expanded systemwide to reduce costs, create efficiencies, and improve care.
- Work on improvement needs identified by and relevant to physicians/PAs and their patients.
- Collaborate with care teams across specialties to align, facilitate and expedite improvements that enhance care and patient experience.
- Connect with physicians/PAs from other sponsor organizations to learn about program and activity best practices.
- Receive help from the ABMS Portfolio Program with the documentation and reporting work related to QI activity participation.
Contact the ABMS Portfolio Program team.
This collection of videos offers testimony from individuals in health care organizations which are part of the ABMS Portfolio Program (formerly the ABMS Multi-Specialty Portfolio Approval Program). You’ll learn how the ABMS Portfolio Program can align with organizational quality and safety goals and encourage physicians’ and PAs’ involvement in QI activities to support their professional development needs for continuing certification.
ABMS Member Boards involved in the ABMS Portfolio Program
- American Board of Anesthesiology
- American Board of Dermatology
- American Board of Emergency Medicine
- American Board of Family Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Board of Ophthalmology
- American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- American Board of Pathology
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Board of Preventive Medicine
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- American Board of Radiology
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- American Board of Urology