Who Should Apply to the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program
Visiting Scholar Application Period for 2020-2021 is now CLOSED
The application deadline for the 2020–2021 ABMS Visiting Scholars Program was Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm (CT). It is expected that the Visiting Scholars will be named in late July 2020.
Early-career physicians, junior faculty, fellows and residents are eligible, as well as individuals holding Master or Doctorate degrees in public health, health services research, public health policy and administration, or other relevant disciplines.
Veterans Affairs trainees and staff are welcome to apply. Prior approval by the VA Office of Academic Affiliations is required. For information about VA Fellow eligibility and application, go to the VA Office of Academic Affiliations / ABMS Visiting Scholars Program page.
Applicants should have a project that is ongoing or ready to begin and an institutional mentor selected. The project may build on existing research at the applicant’s institution. Research should help advance initial and continuing board certification, such as:
- Physician assessment
- Quality improvement and physician performance improvement
- Health care policy
- Physician continuing professional development
- Health services research
Dedicated Research Opportunities for ABMS Visiting Scholars
ABMS Visiting Scholars are selected, in part, on the basis of their leadership interests and experiences and the quality of their proposed project. We are particularly interested in applications that are developed in collaboration with one or more Member Boards. In addition, directed opportunities are available in:
- Physician assessment, performance improvement and use of simulation in training and assessment of otolaryngologists and head and neck surgeons, supported by the American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Physician assessment, performance improvement and use of simulation in training and assessment of orthopaedic surgeons, supported by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Improvement in Diagnosis, supported by the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
Read more about the benefits and requirements of the 2020-2021 ABMS Visiting Scholars Program[PDF]
2020 Informational Webinar for 2020-2021 Candidates
View the June 3, 2020 ABMS Visiting Scholars Program Informational Webinar below [34:06]: