The application period for 2019–2020 opens mid-December 2018.
Sign up for notifications about the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program.
Early career physicians, junior faculty, fellows and residents are eligible, as well as individuals holding Master or Doctorate degrees in public health, health services research, public health policy and administration, or other relevant disciplines.
Veterans Affairs trainees and staff are welcome to apply. Prior approval by the VA Office of Academic Affiliations is required. For information about VA Fellow eligibility and application, go to the VA Office of Academic Affiliations / ABMS Visiting Scholars Program page.
Applicants should have a project that is ongoing or ready to begin and an institutional mentor selected. The project may build on existing research at the applicant’s institution. Research should help advance initial and continuing Board Certification, such as:
- Physician assessment
- Quality improvement and physician performance improvement
- Health care policy
- Physician continuing professional development
- Health services research
Dedicated Research Opportunities for ABMS Visiting Scholars
ABMS Visiting Scholars are selected, in part, on the basis of their leadership interests and experiences and the quality of their proposed project. We are particularly interested in applications that are developed in collaboration with one or more Member Boards. In addition, directed opportunities are available in:
- Physician assessment, performance improvement and use of simulation in training and assessment of otolaryngologists and head and neck surgeons, supported by the American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Physician assessment, performance improvement and use of simulation in training and assessment of orthopaedic surgeons, supported by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Improvement in diagnosis, supported by the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
How to Apply
The application period for 2019–2020 opens in mid-December 2018 and closes May 1, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. CT. Notification of acceptance is made in early July 2019 and program participation begins in September 2019.
SUBSCRIBE TO VISITING SCHOLARS PROGRAM NEWS
Applications must include:
- Research project description including research questions, plan, budget, expected outcomes, and timeline
- Personal statement describing applicant’s interests and goals for the program
- Two letters of support: one from the faculty member or other institutional leader who will serve as the applicant’s research mentor; and one from the applicant’s department chair, associate dean/assistant dean, residency program director, or other supervisor
- Current CV
Download the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program brochure[PDF] for general program information.
Download the Visiting Scholars 2018-2019 Program summary[PDF] for schedule and deadlines.
Download a sample application[PDF].
Register here for the next informational webinar on March 27, 2019, 7:00-8:00 p.m. ET/6:00-7:00 p.m. CT.
REGISTER FOR NEXT WEBINAR
Learn more details about the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program, benefits for Scholars and their institutions, alumni experiences, and what makes a successful candidate from this March 27, 2018 informational webinar below: