Director of Information Technology
The American Board of Medical Specialties is seeking a Director of Information Technology.
The Director of Information Technology (IT) is a key contributor to the technology vision and IT management of the organization. The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring the effective and ongoing operation of the extended IT infrastructure. Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, the Director of IT works closely with the IS team, and the Member Boards, balancing the rapidly changing technical environment with the needs of the organization. Focus must be on delivering high quality services that utilize best practices while also incorporating innovation and an environment that supports quality improvement and customer service.
Established in 1933, the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is responsible for the creation of standards overseeing physician certification in the United States. Dedicated to improving the quality of care to the patients, families and communities they serve, the 24 ABMS Member Boards develop educational and professional standards and programs of assessment to certify physicians and medical specialists. More than 975,000 physicians and medical specialists are certified by one or more of the ABMS Member Boards in one or more 40 specialties and 89 subspecialties. For more information about ABMS, visit www.abms.org
- Effective management and oversight of IS staff members and associated projects;
- Partner and collaborate with CIO to develop short- and long-term IT strategies that align with the company’s business goals and objectives;
- Management and oversight of all work being done on Microsoft Azure systems housing physician certification information;
- Oversee the effective support of company-wide technology service needs;
- Support data management processes involving physician certification data and the products that utilize that data with a strong emphasis on data protection and best practice security measures;
- Identify the need for new and updated technical solutions and propose vendors for the development of those solutions, in conjunction with management as appropriate;
- In partnership with department leadership, assess business needs and oversee all planning and implementation of IT projects and systems;
- Develop and implement IT standard operating procedures and best practices to manage organizational risk and support company growth plans. This work will include written protocols and guidance to IT staff and end users;
- Direct the deployment, development, monitoring, maintenance, and support of IT systems, hardware and software;
- Manage .Net software development cycles and implementation of agile .Net development;
- Remain abreast in emerging technologies;
- Provide hands-on management of highly visible and complex IT programs and projects
- Oversee the management of major IT projects and oversee priorities aligned with ABMS Strategic Plan;
- Manage and support the Member Board Technology Network group;
- Support the use and expansion of data analytics within the ABMS community;
- Implement and maintain Service Level Agreements (SLA) with customers, ABMS and report relevant Key Performance Indicators (KPIs);
- Ensure the security of company information on all systems and manage vendors involved; and
- Occasional evening and weekend work and travel to meetings and events.
Skills and Attributes
- Comfortable working remotely, as well as working with a remote supervisor and remote teammates. Will be required to work in the office on occasion;
- Strong people management skills, ability to build and maintain an effective team;
- Customer service-centric approach;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Self-motivated, independent, cooperative, flexible;
- Experience negotiating with vendors, contractors, and others;
- Successful in translating technical details to lay audiences; and
- Comfortable getting into the technical details, and adept at working with business customers.
Education and Experience
- BS in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field (required);
- 8+ years managing/supervising a multi-disciplinary information technology staff, of which at least 3 years experience as an IT Director, IT Manager or Software Development Manager (required);
- Project management experience (preferred);
- Experience with DevOps and SQL databases (preferred);
- Experience with .Net development (preferred);
- Experience with business intelligence (preferred);
- Experience in IT infrastructure planning and development (preferred); and
- Experience with Microsoft 365, Power BI and, video conferencing (preferred)
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer;
- Must be able to lift, push, pull up to 25 pounds at times;
- Position requires frequent use of the computer;
- Position requires continual mental concentration and specific attention to detail;
- Position requires reaching, bending, stooping, and handling objects with hands and/or fingers, talking and/or hearing, and seeing.
ABMS employees are currently working remotely, unless they choose to work in the office. If an employee wishes to visit the office, the employee must be vaccinated against COVID-19 and must provide proof of vaccination upon request, subject to legal exemptions. ABMS considers an employee to be vaccinated against COVID-19 if the employee has received the primary vaccine and one booster dose. This policy may be revised at any time.
Salary and Benefits: ABMS is offering a starting salary between $150,000 and $160,000 per year, based on relevant experience. ABMS also offers a 37.50-hour work week; a comprehensive benefit package including 3 BCBS plan options; Flexible Medical & Dependent Care Spending Accounts, Heath Savings Accounts; Dental and Vision insurance; 401k with a 3% safe harbor match; discretionary annual bonus; and generous paid vacation program.
The Director of IT position is based in Chicago and only local candidates will be considered. Based on the responsibilities of this position, it will be necessary to work in our Chicago office as needed.
Closing Date: Wednesday, May 10, 2023, or until the position is filled.
How to Apply
In addition to sending your resume and salary expectations, you should include a cover letter outlining your experience and the value that you will bring to ABMS.
Send your resume and cover letter to Dan Hoppe, Director, Human Resources, at email@example.com. Please include “Ref: Dir of IT_4-2023” in the subject line of your email.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be added at any time with or without notice.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or genetic information.