Director of the ABMS Research and Education Foundation
February 10, 2022
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is seeking a Director of the ABMS Research and Education Foundation.
The Director of the ABMS Research and Education Foundation (REF) will provide content leadership and guidance for the ABMS programs, initiatives, and research that advance certification in the ABMS Member Boards’ community. The individual will provide strategic guidance and implementation to the REF and provide direct consultation to Member Boards for issues related to evaluating and improving programs.
Established in 1933, the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is responsible for the creation of standards overseeing physician certification in the United States. Dedicated to improving the quality of care to the patients, families and communities they serve, the 24 ABMS Member Boards develop educational and professional standards and programs of assessment to certify physicians and medical specialists. More than 940,000 physicians and medical specialists are certified by one or more of the ABMS Member Boards in one or more 40 specialties and 88 subspecialties.
- Through leadership of the ABMS Research and Education Foundation (REF), develop and implement a comprehensive, multi-year research and evaluation portfolio, including seeking external funding. This will be in collaboration with stakeholders internal and external to ABMS in support of independent research to build on the existing evidence base about certification (~8h/wk)
- Advise and assist in the development and maintenance of a comprehensive evaluation and assessment strategy that supports the Member Boards in their certification programs (~4h/wk)
- Support Member Boards’ innovative approaches to assessment of knowledge, attitude, professionalism, communication, clinical skills, and improving health and healthcare (~4h/wk)
- Support Member Boards in their on-going implementation and improvement of certification (initial and continuing) programs through ABMS committees (~2h/wk)
- Consult with and provide support to ABMS staff on the development and analysis of certification and continuing certification examinations including but not limited to difficulty and discrimination targets for form building, building of automated test assembly software, analysis to support item bank maintenance, and scoring and standard setting. (~2h/wk)
- Develop and maintain strong professional relationships with ABMS, Member Boards, ABMS Associate Members, and other stakeholders
- Collaborate with others at ABMS in all departments, as needed
- Prepare presentations, summary papers, and advisory and progress reports for ABMS Executive Staff, ABMS Senior Staff, Member Boards, and associated program committees
- Lead, facilitate, or participate in workshops and other educational activities
- Collaborate with others in the development of scholarly presentations and manuscripts
Education and Experience
- MD, DO, PhD, EdD or other relevant advanced/graduate level degree required
- At least 5 years’ experience with assessment and evaluation in program design, implementation, and management
- Familiarity with the continuum of medical education, from undergraduate to graduate to continuing education and physician and medical specialist certification
- Proven expertise in competency-based evaluation in medicine, encompassing knowledge, attitudes, judgment, and clinical skills
- Facility with dataset management and analysis
- Proven capability to integrate multiple methods into integrated assessment and evaluation plans
- Assessment of ongoing practice improvement, particularly as it relates to continuing certification
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage large, complex, multi-geographic projects
- Experience and success designing unique and innovative fundraising strategies
Skills and Attributes
- Leadership experience in building and implementing a complex research program
- Strong research design and analysis skills, especially in regard to high stakes and formative and summative assessments
- Ability to present challenging or complex information in clear and direct ways that strengthen effectiveness of partnerships and overall results
- Ability to think creatively and critically
- Ability to work effectively, collaboratively, and tactfully with colleagues and external constituents, including Member Boards
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, complex environment while effectively meeting deadlines and timetables
- Contribute to a broad perspective on evaluation across the continuum of medical education, from undergraduate to graduate to continuing education
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with implementation science methodology
- Integrity and a commitment to excellence
- Statistical skills to design research projects and analyze data
- Strong leadership capabilities; ability to inspire, manage, and motivate others through both authority and influence
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
ABMS employees are currently working remotely, unless they choose to work in the office. If an employee wishes to visit the office, the employee must be fully vaccinated and must provide proof of vaccination upon request, subject to legal exemptions. ABMS considers an employee to be “fully vaccinated” if the employee has received three doses of a vaccination (i.e., two primary doses and one booster dose) that has been authorized or approved for use in the United States to prevent COVID-19. This policy may be revised at any time.
Hours: This is a part-time, 22.50 hours a week exempt position. Benefits are not available for this position.
Early morning, evening, and weekend hours may be periodically required.
The ABMS offices are located in Chicago, but this position can be based outside the Chicago area. If the successful candidate is located outside the Chicago area, travel to Chicago and ABMS’s conferences & meetings would be required periodically.
Closing Date: Friday, March 11, 2022, or until the position is filled.
How to Apply
In addition to sending your resume and salary expectations, you must include a cover letter outlining your experience and the strategic value that you will bring to ABMS.
Send your resume and cover letter to Dan Hoppe – Director, Human Resources, at email@example.com. Please include “Ref: ABMS_DIR_REF_2022” in the subject of your email.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be added at any time with or without notice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or genetic information.