Director of the Office for Business Excellence – American Board of Pediatrics
Department: Senior Management Team/Office of the President
Reports to: President/CEO
FLSA Classification: Exempt
The Director of the Office for Business Excellence is responsible for working cross-functionally with all Senior Leadership and key external partners to ensure the successful and sustainable advancement of the American Board of Pediatrics’ operations, administration and business functions, closely aligned with mission and strategy. This position will assist the President & CEO with continuous improvement of processes, procedures, metrics, outputs, and culture. The Director of the Office for Business Excellence will work closely with the leadership team on behalf of the President & CEO to enhance core functions, plan key special projects, and ensure that high-priority initiatives are executed effectively. As a trusted advisor to the President & CEO, the Director of the Office for Business Excellence must be trustworthy, highly skilled and experienced in project implementation, administration and business analytics, a team-builder who also works well independently, solution-oriented, detailed-attentive with a vision to overall strategy, and have exceptional quality improvement and change management skills.
The right candidate has an established track record of success, in leadership, project and team management, QI and metrics-evidenced system development.
- Master’s degree required (Business, Business Administration, or Management)
- Experience in a non-profit sector
- 7 or more years of relevant work experience, including 5 years at the Director level or above,
- 5 or more years in applied Business Analytics and Program Management
- Experience working with a board of directors
- Experience working in matrix organizations
- Exceptional drive, dedication, and work ethic
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and desire to mentor others
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Excellent analytical, reasoning, and problem-solving skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to lead in a fast-paced environment, prioritize and drive results, implement change
- Excellent and effective communication and organizational skills
- Understanding and affinity for the core values of the American Board of Pediatrics
- Coordinate organizational strategic plan progress updates; Lead project prioritization process, track organizational and project progress, KPI metrics; identify obstacles, and challenges and propose potential solutions; assure leadership team communications (RACI)
- Update administrative processes to align with strategic goals, with attention to optimization of user experience, economic efficiencies, team building and risk mitigation. Tend to system-wide engagement efforts, Develop and disseminate procedural adaptations to maximize organizational efficiencies.
- Assist in the advancement of the ABP as a learning organization, employing information-based, hygienic decision making, critical input and feedback, principles of continuous improvement and measurement-based evaluation in a milieu of supportive team development.
- With the coordination with leadership, assist with designing and guiding outcome-oriented strategic and tactical initiatives. Listening skills, commitment and compromise, ability to inspire and influence progressive change are essential to optimize core operations and develop through innovation.
- Collaborating with HR and the Engagement Core, lead oversee initiatives to nurture staff culture, develop talent, innovate and modernize personnel management procedures, coordinate communication and ensure outcomes accountability.
Tracking & Follow-Up:
- Track and communicate organization objectives and key results (OKRs). This includes ABP’s objectives and strategic intent metrics assigned, as well as internal priorities, goals, and metrics. Support the organization in discovering gaps in objectives and priorities across teams.
- Oversee product and project management across the organization, ensuring accurate planning estimates and accurate outcome delivery in terms of timeliness, quality and resource use. Implement and supporting efforts promoting effectiveness, efficiency and staff development. Lead special projects and time-limited programs. This includes key strategic initiatives that impact the overall success and sustainability of the organization, as well as team culture and DEIB initiatives to help support a healthy organization. Some projects will span beyond the scope of the enterprise, requiring cross-company collaboration.
- Act as a ‘trusted counsel’ to the president/CEO and senior leaders. Provide insight and analysis on the organization’s operations, key decisions, and other business areas, and represent the president/CEO in certain meetings he/she cannot attend. Partner closely with other functions relevant to the team, including Finance/Accounting, Human Resources, Communications, Information Technology, Certification Programs, Research, Assessment, Operations, and Professional Services.
- Lead the IT project prioritization process. Analyze, validate, specify, and manage the needs of project stakeholders, including customers and end users.
- Serve as the chief liaison between IT and business units, developing supportive staff across the enterprise to assist.
- Assess unit, team, and organizational performance by various measures, including user (external and internal) satisfaction, output measures, quality metrics, resource utilization and ROI.
- Champion a spirit of collaboration, open communication, compassion and service. Work across teams to advance organizational goals and engender trust, including working with other leaders across the organization, sharing and developing best practices.
- Contribute to a culture of learning, respect, support of others, kindness, diversity, inclusion, equity and belonging.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This job description does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than the employment-at-will relationship.
Please apply here: