ABMS Call for Professionalism and Professional Standing CME Activities
The CPD/CME community is invited to submit accredited CME activities that
- Support the ongoing development of professionalism in physicians
- Support the assessment of professionalism and professional standing of physicians
- Address physician lapses in professionalism
Activities that are directed at improving professional behavior at the individual, team, or institutional level are all welcome.
Professionalism is of paramount importance to ABMS Board Certification and is central to self-regulation of the profession. To honor medicine’s social contract, individual physicians must affirm, reaffirm, and demonstrate their dedication to principles of professionalism through their behavior with patients, families, and other health professionals. This entails not only a personal commitment to the welfare of patients but also collective efforts to improve the health care system for the benefit of society.
Medical professionals frequently face challenging conflict-of-interest situations due to competing priorities. This presents an opportunity to enhance ABMS Member Boards Continuing Certification Programs with educational initiatives designed to assist physicians in upholding their commitment to professionalism.
In its ongoing commitment to improve the delivery of quality, safe patient care through Member Boards’ Continuing Certification Programs, the American Board of Medical Specialties has developed the ABMS Continuing Certification Directory, an online repository of competency-based Continuing Certification activities. ABMS invites the continuing professional development and continuing medical education (CPD/CME) communities to submit accredited educational activities for review and inclusion in the ABMS Continuing Certification Directory.
This is an opportunity for CPD/CME providers to create accredited Lifelong Learning and Self-Assessment activities to support the development of highly professional physicians in one or more of the following domains:
- Communication—Interpersonal Skills and Conflict Management
- Efficiencies in Medical Practice—Administrative, Patient-Centered Care Processes, Quality and Performance Metrics
- Organizational Culture of Professionalism—Practice Environment, Institutional Issues, Physician Leadership, and Peer Support Programs
- Personal Resilience—Self-care; Personal and Professional Growth; Burn-out Prevention Strategies; Physical, Emotional, and Social Well-Being Strategies
Activities submitted on the ABMS Continuing Certification Submission Form will be reviewed by participating ABMS Member Boards for alignment with their Continuing Certification programs. Approved activities will then be indexed in the ABMS Continuing Certification Directory.
MOC approvals are made by the Member Boards; the primary role of ABMS is to facilitate the process.
Please review the ABMS Continuing Certification Directory Submission Instructions & Checklist before completing the submission form. Get more information about ABMS Continuing Certification Programs.
For questions about this ABMS call for Continuing Certification activities, please contact Susie Flynn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read More News from ABMS