ABMS Leaders Publish Perspective on ABMS MOC® in NEJM
Recent criticisms about the ABMS Program for Maintenance of Certification (ABMS MOC®), the evolution of continuing certification, and the 2015 MOC standards are the focus of a perspective article written by Mira Irons, MD, Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, and Lois Margaret Nora, MD, President and Chief Executive Officer, published in the January 8th issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.
In it, they cite updates to MOC programs across the medical specialties that are already resulting in meaningful improvements that include:
- Increased sensitivity to physicians’ complex and diverse practice environments, regulatory requirements, and learning needs.
- Consideration of ways to streamline the MOC process, and facilitate and simplify participation in MOC.
- MOC credit for system and team-based quality improvement activities.
- MOC activities that are more relevant to the diplomates’ own practice activities.
- Increased flexibility and encouraged innovation in the construct and delivery of examinations.
Read the full article online at NEJM.org.