Achieving the Vision Update - May 2019
Oversight Committee Announced
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) has named the members of the Continuing Board Certification: Achieving the Vision Oversight Committee. The Oversight Committee will lead the implementation of the recommendations outlined by the Continuing Board Certification: Vision for the Future Commission (Commission) in its February final report.
Selected based on their expertise, knowledge, and understanding of the Commission’s report, and their leadership positions in the ABMS boards community, the members of the Oversight Committee are:
- Larry A. Green, MD, Chair-Elect, ABMS Board of Directors
- Richard E. Hawkins, MD, ABMS President and Chief Executive Officer
- Carolyn L. Kinney, MD, Executive Director, American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Michael R. Nelson, MD, PhD, President, American Board of Allergy & Immunology, Vision Commission Member
- George D. Wendel, Jr., MD, Executive Director of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vision Commission Member
Five Task Forces Identified
The Oversight Committee will be chaired by ABMS Board Chair Barry S. Smith, MD. The Committee will seek guidance from the ABMS Stakeholder Council and various other stakeholders in the continuing certification process to help direct the work of the following five task forces as part of the Achieving the Vision implementation plan:
- Standards Task Force
- Advancing Practice Task Force
- Information and Data Sharing Task Force
- Professionalism Task Force
- Remediation Task Force
While the Standards Task Force will be composed of members of the ABMS Board of Directors and the ABMS Committee on Continuing Certification, the other four task forces will be composed of representatives from various external stakeholders in the continuing certification process as well as ABMS Member Boards. The members of these task forces are expected to be announced in late June.
JAMA "Viewpoint" Details the Vision Initiative
An overview of the Vision Initiative process, the Commission’s Final Report recommendations, as well as ABMS and its Member Boards’ implementation program is now available in the Journal of the American Medical Association “Viewpoint,” coauthored by Commission Co-Chairs Christopher C. Colenda, MD, MPH and William J. Scanlon, PhD, and ABMS President and Chief Executive Officer Richard E. Hawkins.
Download a PDF version of this announcement.
Follow the progress of ABMS and its 24 Member Boards as they are Achieving the Vision for the future of continuing certification.