ABMS Announces New Board of Directors (2014–2015)
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), composed of 24 Member Boards that oversee physician certification in the United States, announced the election of Valerie M. Parisi, MD, MPH, MBA, as the 35th Chair of its Board of Directors (BOD) along with a new Chair Elect, four new At-Large Members, and three current Board Members to serve on the Executive Committee at its BOD meeting on April 24 held in Washington, D.C.
Dr. Parisi most recently served as Chair Elect of the ABMS BOD. She has been a member of the ABMS Board and Executive Committee since 2009, and served as Secretary-Treasurer from 2009 to 2012. Dr. Parisi is Board Certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ABOG) with a subspecialty certificate in Maternal-Fetal Medicine, and is meeting Maintenance of Certification (MOC) requirements.
"Valerie Parisi is a proven leader who shares ABMS' mission to improve the quality of health care through setting professional standards for lifelong certification in partnership with our Member Boards," said Lois Margaret Nora, MD, JD, MBA, ABMS President and Chief Executive Officer. "As a national leader in medical education as well as in the evaluation and certification of physicians, she is well prepared to lead ABMS through the implementation of its program for continuing professional development for Board Certified physicians."
Dr. Parisi succeeds Thomas E. Norris, MD, who served as ABMS BOD Chair from 2012 to 2014. He noted that "Valerie’s medical leadership across many settings and her record of outstanding contributions to ABMS will serve the Member Boards well as we focus on increasing and demonstrating the value we bring to those we serve."
Since 2010, Dr. Parisi has served as the Dean of the Wayne State University School of Medicine, the nation’s largest single-campus medical school. In addition, she serves as Co-Principal Investigator for a federal grant to establish an Area Health Education Center program in Michigan. From 2010 to 2012, Dr. Parisi served as Co-Chair of the Liaison Committee for Medical Education, which accredits medical schools in the United States and Canada. She was Director of ABOG’s Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine and an ABOG Director from 1998-2008. Dr. Parisi received her medical degree from Brown University, where she was enrolled in the institution’s first seven-year medical degree class. She received her Master of Public Health degree in Maternal and Child Health from the University of California-Berkeley School of Public Health and her Master of Business Administration degree from the University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler School of Business. Dr. Parisi completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Women and Infants Hospital of Rhode Island and her fellowship training in Maternal and Fetal Medicine at the University of Wisconsin Center for Health Sciences.
Dr. Parisi was succeeded by John C. Moorhead, MD, MS, FACEP, as Chair Elect. Dr. Moorhead has been a member of the ABMS Board and its Research and Education Foundation Board since 2008.
Currently, Dr. Moorhead is a Professor of Emergency Medicine, and Public Health and Preventive Medicine at the Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) in Portland. In 1978, he joined OHSU’s Department of Emergency Medicine, of which he is now Chair Emeritus. During his 30-plus years in the department, Dr. Moorhead has held many positions including Director of the Emergency Medicine Residency program for 13 years and Department Chair for eight years. He is a former President of the American Board of Emergency Medicine, the American College of Emergency Physicians, and the Oregon Medical Association. Dr. Moorhead is Board Certified by the American Board of Emergency Medicine and is meeting MOC requirements. Dr. Moorhead received his medical degree from Queens University/Medical School in Kingston, Ontario. He graduated from the emergency medicine residency program at McGill University Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal. Dr. Moorhead also holds a Master of Science in Health Policy and Management Degree from New York University.
Other newly-elected ABMS Board Members include:
- Daniel J. Cole, MD − American Board of Anesthesiology
- Thomas W. Hess, JD − Public Member
- Lynn O. Langdon, MS − American Board of Internal Medicine
- Terrance D. Peabody, MD − American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
In addition, the following Board Members will serve on the ABMS Executive Committee:
- Susan Dentzer − Public Member
- Rebecca L. Johnson, MD − American Board of Pathology
- Robert H. Miller, MD, MBA − American Board of Otolaryngology
The entire ABMS Board of Directors for 2014-2015 includes the following Members:
- Valerie M. Parisi, MD, MPH, MBA, MD, Chair (ABOG)
- John Moorhead, MD, MS, FACEP, Chair Elect (ABEM)
- Lois Margaret Nora, MD, JD, MBA, President and CEO
- John G. Clarkson, MD, Secretary-Treasurer (ABOp)
- Thomas E. Norris, MD, Immediate Past Chair (ABFM)
- Gary J. Becker, MD (ABR)
- Miriam G. Blitzer, PhD (ABMG)
- Pamela J. Boyers, MA, PhD (Public Member)
- Jo Buyske, MD (ABS)
- Michael L. Carius, MD (ABEM)
- Daniel J. Cole, MD (ABA)
- Susan Dentzer (Public Member)
- Kirk A. Frey, MD, PhD (ABNM)
- Larry C. Gilstrap III, MD (ABOG)
- Larry A. Green, MD (ABFM)
- Thomas W. Hess, JD (Public Member)
- Anne-Marie Irani, MD (ABAI)
- Rebecca L. Johnson, MD (ABPath)
- Gerald H. Jordan, MD (ABU)
- Denece O. Kesler, MD, MPH (ABPM)
- Eve Kurtin, PharmD, MBA (Public Member)
- Lynn O. Langdon, MD (ABIM)
- James G. Lifton, MBA (Public Member)
- John E. Mayer, Jr., MD (ABTS)
- Gail A. McGuinness, MD (ABPeds)
- Robert H. Miller, MD (ABOto)
- Stanley J. Miller, MD (ABD)
- R. Barrett Noone, MD (ABPS)
- Margaret E. O’Kane, MHS (Public Member)
- Tae Sung Park, MD (ABNS)
- Terrance D. Peabody, MD (ABOS)
- Barbara S. Schneidman, MD, MPH (ABPN)
- David J. Schoetz, Jr., MD (ABCRS)
- Barry S. Smith, MD (ABPMR)
- David J. Wilson, MD (ABOp)