Background and Purpose
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) Visiting Scholars Program is a one-year, part-time program that is intended to provide exposure to the fields of professional assessment and education, quality improvement (QI), and regulatory policy while promoting research and scholarship in areas related to Board Certification and Maintenance of Certification (MOC)/Continuing Certification (CC) that are important to the ABMS Member Boards Community.
- Scholars receive support from ABMS leadership to enhance their research projects related to Board Certification and MOC/CC
- Scholars receive a unique education about current ABMS issues and initiatives through interactive monthly videoconferences and in-person meetings with health care and Member Board Community leaders
- Scholars receive an introduction to the ABMS Member Boards Community through in-person participation in committee meetings, conferences and forums, and discussions with leadership
- Scholars are linked to appropriate contacts within ABMS and the Member Boards Community who will assist with the spread and scale of the scholars’ research projects
- Scholars will have ongoing engagement with the ABMS Member Boards Community through an alumni network
Who Should Apply?
The program is open to early career physicians; junior faculty including assistant professors, instructors, fellows, and residents; and individuals holding advanced degrees in public health, health services research, and other relevant disciplines.
Applicants should have a project that is ongoing or ready to begin and a designated institutional mentor to help guide their work. The project may build on existing research at the scholar’s institution.
Download the Visiting Scholars brochure and summary to learn more about the program and 2017-2018 schedule.
More About Board Certification and MOC/CC
Learn more about the ABMS Program for Maintenance of Certification (ABMS MOC®).
Become an ABMS Visiting Scholar
The application period for the 2017-2018 Visiting Scholars Program is now open. Applications are due by midnight, May 1, 2017; notification of acceptance will be made in early July and program participation will begin in September 2017.
The Visiting Scholars Program is extremely competitive. Download a copy of the application to review the questions before beginning the online application process. You will be asked to provide:
- Project abstract
- Current CV
- Two letters of recommendation, including one from your project mentor
Please contact ABMSVisitingScholars@abms.org if you have any questions or concerns.
|Joshua Davis, BA, Medical Student, Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
Project: Board Certification Requirements in Quality and Patient Safety
Sandeep Mannava, MD, PhD, Sports Medicine Fellow, Steadman-Philippon Research Institute, Vail, CO
Project: The Evolving Role of Simulation-based Surgery Training in Orthopaedic Surgery (ABMS-ABOS Visiting Scholar)
|Tim Xu, MPP, Medical Student, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
Project: Impact of Board Certification on Surgeon Performance in National Medicare Data
Learn more about the scholars and their projects.