Board Certification Matters
ABMS works to educate health organizations, medical associations, policy makers, and the public on the importance of ABMS board certification in sustaining a strong medical specialty workforce to provide high-quality patient care.
ABMS’ Certification Matters briefs summarize key topics on ABMS board certification and why the credential is important in health care. The briefs are designed to help frame and inspire conversations with relevant stakeholders and those who need to better understand a topic.
Topics That Matter To You
Evaluating the legitimacy of a board certification program
Enhanced continuing certification approaches offer physicians convenience and relevance
Understanding the rigor of ABMS board certification programs
How continuing certification helps physicians stay up to date
How ABMS board certification is preferred and trusted by patients
Studies that link continuing certification to improvements in patient care
Why CME is not enough to ensure competency in a specialty
Research that ties participation in continuing certification to better professional behavior
ABMS also can be a resource to support your advocacy on critical issues like physician well-being, professional self-regulation, misinformation in health care, scope of practice, and many other issues.
Supporting Value and Quality in Health Care
Since 1933, ABMS has supported physicians and the health care system by:
- Assuring the public that they are being cared for by doctors who are committed to their health and well-being
- Helping health care organizations achieve their quality and safety goals by providing a trusted indicator of a physician’s capabilities in their medical specialty
- Recognizing and rewarding board certified physicians who are committed to lifelong learning and continually improving their practice
Read ABMS statements addressing critical issues affecting physicians and specialists, the certification community, the health of the patients and communities we serve.
- Policy on Admission of New Medical Specialty Boards to Membership in ABMS
- ABMS Position Statement on Upholding Standards in Specialty Practice
- ABMS Renews Its Statement on Legislative Interference in Medical Education, Training, and Practice and Its Adverse Effects on Women’s Access to Reproductive Health Care