Applying to the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program
Important 2021 Dates
April 14 – Webinar for interested applicants, register here
June 7 – Applications due at 5:00 pm CT
August – Selected individuals notified
September – Program begins
The ABMS Visiting Scholars program is ideal for individuals looking to positively impact their profession as well as specialty certification in an environment of rapid change. Those invited to apply include:
- Early career physicians, junior faculty, fellows, and residents, as well as individuals holding master or doctorate degrees in public health, health services research, educational evaluation and statistics, public health policy and administration, or other relevant disciplines.
- Veterans Affairs trainees and staff, with prior approval by the VA Office of Academic Affiliations.
- Student visas are not available.
Dr. Sandeep Mannava, Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Rochester Medical Center, discusses the benefits of participating in the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program. He not only learned about board certification, lifelong learning, assessment, and health care policy, he had an opportunity to interact with national health care leaders in all these areas.
For your application, you should have a project that is ongoing (or launching) and an institutional mentor selected. Your project may build on existing research at your organization while helping advance initial and continuing certification. Applications must include:
- A description of your project including research questions, plan, budget, expected outcomes, and timeline.
- A statement describing your interests and goals for program participation.
- Two letters of recommendation: one from your research mentor; and one from your department chair, associate dean/assistant dean, residency program director; or another supervisor.
- A current professional CV.
Click here to begin your application. NOTE: The online application allows you to save your responses and continue later. Please periodically save your responses by clicking the “Save and continue later” link located at the top of each page after the first page to retain your work. Please note that the survey will only save up to your most recent completed page (must click next). Edits to the application can be made via the save and continue link.
ABMS Visiting Scholars are selected based on the quality of their proposed research project, the relevance of their research to the ABMS mission and the certification community, and the likelihood of making substantial progress on the project during the scholar year. Applications developed in collaboration with one or more ABMS Member Boards may receive priority. An award of up to $12,500 is provided to support the direct costs of research and travel expenses associated with program participation.