Applying to the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program
The application period for the 2023–2024 cohort is now open. The deadline to apply is 11:59 pm (CT) on June 18, 2023.
During the year-long program, the Visiting Scholars remain at their home institutions and work with self-selected mentors. They participate in monthly webinars where they provide research project updates to their peers, a select panel of subject matter experts, and Visiting Scholars alumni who provide guidance, support, and feedback to barriers they may be experiencing in their research work.
The program begins each year in September. Scholars traditionally attend in-person leadership meetings and present their research findings before a national audience at the annual ABMS Conference. Read the Scholars Impact stories to learn more about their experiences.
Download the informational flyer[PDF].
The ABMS Visiting Scholars Program is ideal for individuals looking to positively impact their profession as well as specialty certification through research.
- Early-career physicians, medical and surgical specialists, and research professionals, junior faculty, fellows, and residents, as well as individuals holding master or doctorate degrees in public health, health services research, educational evaluation and statistics, public health policy and administration, or other relevant disciplines.
- Veterans Affairs trainees and researchers.
- Student visas are not available.
Contact the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program for more information.
Projects can be ongoing or launching and may build on existing research at one’s home organization. Please consider the impact of your proposed research project on reducing health disparities and contributing to the development of a qualified and diversified workforce. A research mentor must be selected. Applications should include:
- A project description including research questions, plan, budget, expected outcomes, and timeline.
- A statement describing interests and goals for program participation. All applicants should give consideration to the impact of their proposed research project on reducing health inequities and contributing to the development of a qualified and diversified workforce.
- Two letters of recommendation: one from the chosen research mentor; and one from the department chair, associate dean/assistant dean, residency program director; or another supervisor.
- A current professional CV.
Download a sample application for the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program[PDF].
Application deadline for the 2023–2024 cohort is 11:59 pm CT on June 18, 2023.
ABMS Visiting Scholars are selected based on the quality of their proposed research project, the relevance of their research to the ABMS certification community priorities, and the likelihood of making substantial progress on the project during the cohort year. Applications developed in collaboration with one or more ABMS Member Boards may receive priority.
An award of $15,000 is provided to support the direct costs of research and travel expenses associated with program participation. The award may be applied to an existing research grant that supports the same research project or research focus area.