Applying to the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program
The application period for the 2024–2025 cohort OPENS March 15 and closes at 11:59 pm on June 17
The year-long program begins in September 2024. Scholars remain at their home institutions and work with self-selected mentors. At monthly virtual sessions, each scholar presents research project updates to their peers, a select panel of subject matter experts, and Visiting Scholars alumni. Scholars also have the opportunity to attend in-person leadership meetings and present their research findings before a national audience at the 2025 ABMS Conference.
The program begins each year in September. Scholars traditionally attend in-person leadership meetings and present their research findings before a national audience at the annual ABMS Conference. Read the Scholars Impact stories to learn more about their experiences.
The ABMS Visiting Scholars Program is ideal for individuals looking to positively impact their profession as well as specialty certification through research.
- Early-career physicians, junior faculty, fellows, and residents, as well as individuals holding master or doctorate degrees in public health, health services research, educational evaluation and statistics, and public health policy and administration.
- Veterans Affairs trainees and researchers.
- Student visas are not available.
Contact the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program for more information.
Proposed research projects can be established research projects with a new scope of work or original research projects. A research mentor must be identified through the application process.
Applications should include:
- A project description including research questions, plan, budget, expected outcomes, and timeline.
- A statement describing interests and goals for program participation. All applicants should consider the impact of their proposed research project on reducing health disparities and contributing to the development of a qualified and diversified workforce.
- Two letters of recommendation: one from the chosen research mentor; and one from the department chair, associate dean/assistant dean, residency program director; or another supervisor.
- A current professional CV.
APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR THE 2024–2025 COHORT IS 11:59 PM CT ON JUNE 17, 2024.
ABMS Visiting Scholars are selected based on the quality of their proposed research project, the relevance of their research to the ABMS certification research priorities, and the likelihood of making substantial progress on the project during the cohort year. Applications developed in collaboration with one or more ABMS Member Boards may receive priority.
An award of $15,000 is provided to support the direct costs of research and travel expenses associated with program participation. The award may be applied to an existing research project with a new scope of work or an original research project.