ABMS Seeks Nominations for Positions on New ABMS Stakeholder Council
Nominations closed Thursday, August 30, 2018.
American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is seeking nominations for positions on the ABMS Stakeholder Council.
The Stakeholder Council is an advisory body to the ABMS Board of Directors representing volunteer physicians and patient/public interests. The role of the Stakeholder Council is to ensure that the ABMS Board of Directors makes decisions that are grounded in an understanding of the perspectives, concerns, and interests of multiple constituents and stakeholders who may be impacted by the work of ABMS. The Council is responsible for reviewing strategic initiatives, policies, certification program reviews, and pilot-program reports, and providing written recommendations to the ABMS Board of Directors. The Council may also proactively raise issues to be addressed by the ABMS Board of Directors.
The Stakeholder Council is composed of five (5) Associate Members, six (6) Public Members, two (2) At-Large Member Board Executives or Directors/Trustees of Member Boards, one (1) member of the credentialing community, and up to ten (10) active diplomates who are Board Certified by an ABMS Member Board, participating in continuing certification/MOC, and not serving in a leadership position in any Member Board, Associate Member, or specialty society or association. The ABMS Chair, Chair-Elect, Immediate Past Chair, Secretary-Treasurer, and President and CEO serve as ex officio, voting members as well.
Members are expected to serve a three-year term and may be re-elected to serve one additional three-year term. The Stakeholder Council is expected to meet twice per year in Chicago and have several conference calls during the year. The first in-person meeting will be in 2019.
Members will collectively meet the following criteria:
- Ability to foster an atmosphere of collaboration and inclusivity;
- Ability to think strategically;
- Demonstrated diplomacy in bringing opposing views to agreement;
- Practicing physicians who participate in continuing certification in a variety of practice environments (i.e., private practice and academic health centers)
- Individuals from diverse backgrounds and/or experiences (e.g., age, gender, ethnicity, race, disabilities, practice environment, specialty experience, geography, etc.);
- Experience with and knowledge of patient advocacy and consumer issues;
- Experience with and knowledge of credentialing;
- Experience with and knowledge of hospitals and health systems;
- Experience with and knowledge of health care and public policy;
- Experience with and knowledge of assessment methodologies and programs;
- Experience with and knowledge of initial certification and continuing certification;
- Experience with and knowledge of medical education across the continuum;
- Experience with and knowledge of quality/practice improvement in medicine;
- Support of ABMS’ mission and strategic priorities.
ABMS appreciates your careful consideration of the request for nominations. All nomination materials are due Thursday, August 30, 2018. The nomination material will be collated for review by the Governance Committee in September; the Governance Committee will provide nominations to the ABMS Board of Directors for its consideration at its October meeting.
Please note the following:
1. All nominees for all positions are required to complete an online application which includes a brief statement of interest and the submission of an abbreviated CV (e.g., CV without presentations or publications; two-page limit). To access the application, please follow the following links:
- Associate Member Position
- At-Large MBE/Members of the Directors/Trustees of Member Boards
- Credentialing Community
- Public Members
- Active Diplomates
2. Nominees for five (5) Associate Member positions, the two (2) At-Large Member Board Executives or Members of the Boards of Directors/Trustees of Member Boards, and the one (1) credentialing community position are required to be nominated by their respective organizations.
The Associate Member organizations are:
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education
- American Hospital Association
- American Medical Association
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Council of Medical Specialty Societies
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- Federation of State Medical Boards
- National Board of Medical Examiners
Click Here [CLOSED] to access the forms for nominators. Nomination letters are not required but may be uploaded through the form.
- Associate Members
- At-Large Member Board Executives or Members of the Boards of Directors/Trustees of Member Boards
- Credentialing Community
3. Nominees for the ten (10) active diplomate positions and the six (6) public members may be nominated by an organization or person or through self-nomination. Active diplomates must be Board Certified by an ABMS Member Board, participating in continuing certification/MOC, and not serving in a leadership position in any Member Board, Associate Member, or specialty society or association. Physicians are not considered public members.
Click Here [CLOSED] to access the optional forms for nominators. Nomination letters are not required but may be uploaded through the form.
- Active Diplomate
- Public Member
If you have any questions, please contact Kathleen Ruff (firstname.lastname@example.org; 330-304-2308). Thank you for your participation in this important activity.
All nomination materials are due Thursday, August 30, 2018.
Read More News from ABMS