ABMS Visiting Scholars Program
The ABMS Visiting Scholars Program positions early-career physicians and research professionals as active contributors to and future leaders in health care. This one-year, part-time program facilitates research exploring best practices and innovative approaches that address priorities for the certification community—physician learning and assessment, physician performance, continuing professional development, quality improvement, and patient safety. Focused areas of interest for the certification community include the following:
- Diagnostic error
- Competency-based medical education and assessment
- Racial Equity and Diversity in health care
- Engaging physicians in quality improvement
ABMS Visiting Scholars have an opportunity to:
- Conduct research of value to their program and organization.
- Strengthen methods and data analyses in consultation with ABMS physician leaders and researchers.
- Learn about leadership approaches and priorities by engaging with physician leaders at the national level.
- Develop professional relationships with ABMS and its Member Boards, other professional health care organizations, and ABMS Visiting Program Scholars alumni.
- Have their work nationally recognized and disseminated across the certification community.
Important 2021 Dates
April 14 – Webinar for interested applicants, register here
June 7 – Applications due at 5:00 pm CT
August – Selected individuals notified
September – Program begins
The ABMS Visiting Scholars Experience
The ABMS Visiting Scholars program is a life experience with value and resonance that extends far beyond the boundaries of a single year. It is a chance for individuals to step out with a research project of their own and network with fellow scholars, alumni, and leadership from the ABMS community.
Three ABMS Visiting Scholars alumni talk about their experiences and research projects as well as the benefits of the program designed for early-career physicians.
During the one-year program, individuals will remain at their home organization, work with self-selected mentors, and participate in monthly interactive webinars with national thought leaders in medical education, critical thinking and diagnosis, assessment, professionalism, research and improvement methodologies, and big data.
Traditionally, ABMS Visiting Scholars present their research findings before a national audience at the annual ABMS Conference and attend in-person leadership meetings. During the COVID-19 pandemic, these in-person meetings and presentations may be hosted virtually.
Visit the ABMS Visiting Scholars YouTube playlist to learn more and hear from program alumni.
Download the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program 2021-2022 flyer[PDF]