ABMS Visiting Scholars Program: Shaping the Future of Health Care Leaders in Our Community
The ABMS Visiting Scholars Program™ helps shape the next generation of early-career physicians, medical and surgical specialists, and research professionals by supporting their research and leadership development through engagement with ABMS and the broader certification community.
Launched in 2014, this one-year, part-time program facilitates research projects that address pressing health care issues and research priorities for ABMS Member Board community. Through the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program, Scholars gain knowledge of the certification process, advance their leadership and research skills, and receive feedback from mentors and subject matter experts in their respective research areas.
Results from Visiting Scholars’ research contribute to the medical literature that supports the development and ongoing assessment of specialists who positively impact the quality, safety, and value of patient care.
Current research priorities are:
- Diagnostic excellence within and across specialties
- Competency-based medical education and assessments across the medical education continuum
- Racial equity and diversity across the health care continuum
- Physician engagement in quality improvement and patient safety initiatives
- Research priorities of our co-sponsoring organizations including the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation and the ABMS Member Boards of Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Radiology, and Urology.
Learn more about applying to the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program.
Advantages of the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program
The ABMS Visiting Scholars Program offers many advantages to both participants and co-sponsor organizations.
For Visiting Scholars
Scholars say that the program helps shape their career path, advance their research aspirations, and forge long-term relationships. Read the Scholars Impact stories to learn more about their experiences. Contact the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program for more information about becoming an ABMS Visiting Scholar.
- Conduct research of value to their home organization and the broader certification community.
- Consult with research mentors and subject matter experts to strengthen research methodologies, data analytics, and overcome barriers.
- Learn from national experts and thought leaders in health care and health policy
- Build a professional network of colleagues across the certification community including leaders from ABMS and ABMS Member Boards, ABMS Associate Members, Visiting Scholars peers, and Visiting Scholars alumni.
- Engage with the ABMS community by participating in committee and stakeholder council meetings, sponsored symposia, and professional health care forums.
- Have their work nationally recognized and disseminated across the certification, medical education, and quality improvement communities.
For Co-sponsor Organizations
Scholars may be co-sponsored by an ABMS Member Board or other health care and philanthropic organizations. Scholars say that the program helps shape their career path, advance their research aspirations, and forge long-term relationships. Read the Scholars Impact stories to learn more about their experiences. Contact the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program for more information about becoming an ABMS Visiting Scholars co-sponsor.
- Develop a pipeline of junior investigators who are interested in and committed to advancing research areas of interest.
- Build intellectual capital, technical know-how, and cutting- edge innovations to certification assessments and programs.
- Bring fresh perspective to committees, task forces, focus groups or councils to have a greater impact on the future of board certification and physician self-regulation.
- Strengthen the certification community through collaboration with stakeholders that impact and advance the certification process and programs.
View this video collection to learn more about the ABMS Visiting Scholars Program and hear from program alumni about their experiences.